9

Catherine was having separation anxiety. Ever since she was little she would have separation anxiety when her mom had to leave her to a baby sitter.

"Mommy! Please don't leave me!" Little Catherine cried.

"Cathy, I have to go to work, baby," her mom tried to calm her down.

"No, please! You can give all my toys away, just don't leave me!" Catherine panicked. Her mom's heart broke when she said those words. They found a way to deal the separation and slowly, but surely it went away.

But, it came back.

She couldn't stand this. She needed a way to deal with this or she'll have a mental breakdown. She laid down in the bed to try and calm herself down.

Countless minutes went by, but her breathing was speeding up. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she let out a loud sob.

Then she heard the front door being unlocked. She expected Luke was coming to check on her, but instead it was Ashton.

"What's with all the noise-" he shouted, but then realize Catherine was crying. "Oh, shit. Uh, what's wrong?" he asked. He looked genuinely concerned and kneeled down beside her.

"It-it's nothing," Catherine hiccuped. She tried wiping her tears away, but they kept flowing like a river.

"Doesn't look like nothing to me," he mumbled. She sighed and tried to speak, but failed when her voice faltered. Ashton released a breath he didn't realize he was holding in. He wanted to hold her in his arms and say to this broken girl that it was alright, but he hesitated and awkwardly put his hand behind his neck.

Screw it, he thought. He placed an arm around her shoulders and held her close.

"Hey, shh," he rocked held her and rocked back and forth to calm her down. "Shh, it's alright," he whispered.

"I don't understand," Catherine whispered. How could this rough, intimidating man be comforting her when all he's done was threaten and scare her? Yet, he's here calming her down.

"What don't you understand?" Ashton whispered back, but he had an idea of what it was.

"How are you comforting me when all you've done is hurt me?" Catherine mumbled. She thought he didn't hear her, but he did. Perfectly clear.

He sighed and rubbed his temples. "I don't-I just. Look, let's just not talk about this right now," he seemed to grow frustrated. She didn't want to upset him or make him angry, so she nodded and continued to take advantage of his nice side.

"I have separation anxiety," I admitted. He looked down at me with soft eyes. It's like she felt he'd ask questions, so she added, "but, let's just not talk about it right now."

He cracked a small smile, and she felt a warmth overcome her that she made him smile. This was the first time she's seen him with a bright expression.

"I'm sorry about that," he said. Catherine shrugged and got up to stand reluctantly when Ashton replicated her actions. "I'm gonna go back to the house, do you wanna come?" he asked.

"Sure, okay."

*

"Where's the oreos!?"

Ashton strolled into the house with Catherine following behind.

"Michael! Those oreos were mine! I'm the one who got those,ugh!" Calum threw a fit about his oreos. Luke was just sitting on the couch playing video games. Sure, they have to steal things, but some of the stuff they have were from when the used to live with their parents and took what was theirs.

"Hey, Cathy!" Michael greeted. She just smiled and said a small hello. Ashton sat down next to Luke and grabbed a controller.

"If you want any food, go ahead, but there's no oreos since Michael shoved them all in his mouth," Calum said. He walked to the kitchen and sat on a high stool. "You can sit, you know," he gestured pointing to a chair.

Catherine fiddled with her fingers and took a seat. She forgot that she was crying earlier and the separation anxiety was gone for now. She just needed someone she trusted near her and she trusted Luke more, so it was good Luke was just a few feet away in the couch. Her puffy eyes were noticeable and Calum wouldn't quit staring.

"Can I help you?" she asked rudely. She didn't mean to be rude because she was scared if she did anything wrong, she'd get in trouble.

He shook his head and looked away.

"Can we do something fun, tonight?" Calum asked. He looked at her and winked.

"Yeah, let's do it!" Michael cheered.

"Sure."

Short I know

Okay this was hard for me because I just needed them to have an intimate moment there. I teared up a bit, but here's an update. I'm really enjoying writing this wow