eleven

"Yeah, we boarded that high suspect warship Danvers pinged."  Rocket growls as Nat sits across from me at her desk, a peanut butter sandwich in hand.  I cradle a pudding cup as I glance up at the holograms of Nebula, Rocket, Okoye, Carol, and Rhodey.  A monthly meeting of the Avengers was in progress.

   "It was an-" Nebula starts but I interrupt her, raising a finger to silence her.

   Listening, I hear something.  "I said no.  Out!"  I call out in a stern voice over my shoulder.

   Everyone shares a look before a voice calls out in response.  "Oh man!"  I listen to the soft padding of his feet as he scurries away, but it stops short. 

   After a moment Nebula goes to speak again but I keep my finger raised.  "Steven James Farrington, I said out!"  I call again.

   "Come on!"  Stevi shouts.  Carol and Okoye chuckle slightly while Rhodey shakes his head, a smile playing on his lips.

   After another moment Nebula tries to speak again but still, I keep my finger up.  She releases a frustrated breath as she glares at me.  "Out!"  I call out again, louder.  A frustrated growl responds followed by the slamming of the door.  I glance up at Nebula with an apologetic smile as everyone chuckles to themselves.  "Sorry about that.  Stevi's been trying his hand at being a spy." 

   Nebula releases an unamused hum before speaking.  "As I was saying, the ship was an infectious garbage scowl."

   "So, thanks for the hot tip."  Rocket adds with a growl.

   Carol glances over at them.  "Well, you were closer."  She says in her defense.

   "Yeah, and now we smell like garbage."  Rocket snaps back.

   "You get a reading on those tremors?"  Nat interrupts, turning to Okoye.  I lower my head.  I already discussed this with Nat earlier.

   "It was a mild subduction under the African plate," Okoye says calmly.  I feel her eye glance down at me.

   "I told her that."  I murmur, lulling my head to the side to glance up at Okoye. 

   "Do we have visual?"  Nat presses on, ignoring the look Okoye and I are sharing.  "How are we handling it?"

   Okoye glances over at Nat.  "Nat, it's an earthquake under the ocean.  We handle it... by not handling it."

   "I told her that too."  I murmur, glancing down at my pudding cup as I scoop a small spoonful into my mouth.

   Nat's shifts her look over to Carol.  "Carol, are we seeing you here next month?"

   "Not likely," Carol responds with a shake of her head.

   "What, you gonna get another hair cut?"  Rocket growls, poking fun at Carol's new pixie cut.

   "Rocket, can you not?"  I slur as I rest my head on the back of my chair.  I love the crazy raccoon, but sometimes I wonder how the Guardians got by without strangling him.  I'm wondering how Nebula's getting by without strangling him.

   "Listen fur-face, I'm covering a lot of territories."  Carol snaps, turning to Rocket.  "The things that are happening on Earth are happening everywhere.  On thousands of planets."

   Rocket nods, looking away.  "Okay, that's a good point."  He murmurs.

   Carol glances back to Nat before adding.  "So, you might not see me for a long time."