twenty-six

"I can't breathe.  I can't breathe!"  The faint voice of Rocket calls from the distance.  I shake my head as I struggle to get up.  My whole body aches.  I feel like I just fell out of a tree that was overlooking a cliff.  

   I struggle on my hands and knees before collapsing.  

   I hear a grunt, making me glance over my shoulder.  

   Standing over me is Dr. Banner, holding up a very large concrete slab on his shoulders.  I slowly glance around, spying Rocket trapped under another slab of concrete and Rhodey in his suit lying unmoving.  

   "Rocket... Rhodey..." I groan, trying to crawl over to them only to collapse again.  

   "Canopy, canopy, canopy."  Rhodey suddenly chants, ordering his suit to open, allowing him to roll out.  

   "Rhodey, Rocket, Kidara, get out of here!"  Dr. Banner calls, struggling under the weight on his shoulders.  His damaged arm hangs uselessly at his side.  

   "Let me up, let me up!"  Rocket cries helplessly as I continue to struggle to reach them.  Rhodey grabs a rebar pipe.  "Come on!"  

   Rhodey forces the pipe under the concrete trapping Rocket.  Pushing down, Rhodey creates enough space for Rocket to scramble out.  

   "Are you okay?"  I gasp as I finally make it to their side.  I collect Rocket into my arms and hold him close.  He doesn't fight it, just gasps for air.  I turn to Rhodey as he rolls onto his back, breathing deeply.  

   "Rhodey!  Kidara!"  Dr. Banner yells.  

   We turn just as a wave of water comes crashing down on us.  I release a choked scream allowing water to rush into my open mouth, clutching Rocket closer to me.  I feel his claws dig into my suit as he struggles to hold on.  Rhodey vanishes from my sight as water gushes over my face.  I bob to the surface coughing and gasping for air as Rocket scrambles from my arms to my shoulder.  

   "Rhodey!!"  I cry out desperately, searching for the Colonel.  

   "Mayday, mayday!"  Rhodey's voice calls over comms as I try to make my way to Dr. Banner.  Suddenly I spy Rhodey's head as it bobs awkwordly in the water, struggling to make his way towards us.  "Does anyone copy?!  We're on the lower level, it's flooding!"  

   "W-what?"  The hazy voice of Scott replies.  

   "We're drowning!  Does anybody copy?  Mayday!"  Rhodey calls.  

   "Wait!  I'm here!  I'm here, can you hear me?!"  Scott calls back as Rocket clings to my shoulder.  

   The water level continues to rise quickly as I make my way to Rhodey's side.  I loop his arm over my shoulders, lifting him to his feet.  I half drag, half help move Rhodey to higher ground as the water level rises to my abdomen.  

   But there is no higher ground.  We're trapped with water rising quickly around us.  

   I softly pray to Bast to have mercy on our souls as my feet begin to lift off the ground.  Rhodey shifts his arm off my shoulder and tries to keep my head above water.  Rocket moves on my shoulder, easing his weight off.  

   "That didn't sound like a 'please, for the love of God, someone help us' kind of prayer."  Rocket whimpers once I finished as I lift my hands to press against the concrete above us.  

   "That's because it wasn't."  I murmur back as I glance over at Rhodey, who nods his head in understanding.  

   "See you guys on the other side," Rhodey says, causing Rocket to whine nervously.  

   I release a whimper as my head begins to bump against the concrete.  Water trails down my face, but I can't tell if its tears or from the water surrounding us.  

   This can't be how it ends.  I just got everyone back.  I just got Shuri and T'Challa back.  I just got Ulric back.  I just got back all my friends.  I didn't even get a chance to see them.  

   It can't end like this.  

   "Guys I'm here."  The voice of Scott calls.  

   "Where Scott?"  Rhodey gasps, glancing around not spying the Ant-Man.  

   "H...y, Ca...," a new voice calls over comms.  It sounds hazy and distant.  It also sounds very familiar.  Static crackles as he speaks again.  "Can... ou... ear me?"  

   I gasp in realization.  

   "I'm right here," Scott says as he appears in front of us.  

   "Cap, it's Sam," Sam calls over comms.  "Can you hear me?"  

   "It's Sam!"  I cry out in excitement, looking over at Rhodey.  

   "No, Kidara, it's me, Scott."  Scott corrects as he opens his mask, showing us his face.  

   "Not you!"  I shout at Scott before pointing to the comms unit in my ear.  "Over comms, it's Sam!  He's here!  They're here!"  

   "On your left."  

   "Scott, get us out of here!"  Rhodey orders.  

   Scott snaps into action.  Fastening his mask shut, Scott starts to grow.  Soon he's large enough to take the weight of the concrete off Dr. Banner.  Sighing in relief, Dr. Banner slumps forward into the water.  Scott opens his large hand and cups us in his palm.  Scott then continues to grow as we sit in his fist.  

   Now I know what a beetle feels like in the palm of a child.  

   Suddenly, Scott stops growing.  He opens his hand, freeing us.  I release a gasp at the sight before me.  

   Everything is destroyed.  There's nothing left of the Avengers compound.  It's all gone.  

   But in the rubble stands an army emerging from multiple circular portals.  Not just one army.  Multiple armies.  An army of green aliens.  The golden armored soldiers of Asgard.  Various alien worriers.  Aliens wearing blood-red jackets.  Men and women in robes wielding glowing golden shields.  

   And the army of Wakanda!  Their chants fill the air.  Talon Flyers soar above as I spy two familiar figures leading the Wakandan forces.  

   T'Challa!  

   Shuri!  

   I glance to the other side of the field as Rocket hops from my shoulder to Rhodey's.  

   Thanos and his forces stand opposite.  

   Dr. Banner lifts me by the waist and jumps off Scott's palm, landing behind Steve, Thor, and Tony in front of the Wakandan army.  I nod my head towards my brother and sister, who both smirk at me.  Turning to stand at attention, I glare at Thanos and his army as I activate my mask.  

   "Avengers!"  Steve shouts, grabbing everyone's attention.  He outstretches his hand, catching Mjolnir in it.  I smirk at the sight of Captain America wielding the mighty hammer.  

   Thanos is so dead.  

   "Assemble."