The Calm before the Storm

Thirty minutes later, Cyrus found Delilah in the garden, on the bench by the gate. She was slumped forwards, looking downwards at the flaming sword in her hands.

"Anathema said tea's ready"

"Bit early isn't it? what is it? three?"

"fifteen minutes past three actually"

"it's our last supper"

"the last supper" Cyrus joked before noticing the girl's expression "you're usually laughing at my morbid humour"

Delilah looked at Cyrus as he sat down next to her

"it's nothing, really, just something God said"

"what'd she say?"

"you're not hiding anything from me are you Cyrus?"

"I don't know, am I?"

"Cyrus, please, if you know anything else about Lilith, can you tell me?"

"I've told you all my knowledge on her Delilah, she's the bitch who left me at birth to go and slaughter a bunch of babies in Soho and can only be stopped by the flaming sword"

"are you sure that's it?"

"why are you being nervous around me all of a sudden?"

Delilah looked into Cyrus' grey eyes, searching for something, searching for a lie, for a give away of faltering trust, but there was nothing but a confused look in them, she smiled before feeling her gaze lingering for too long and she forced herself to look away.

"I'm not, you're my best friend, it's probably uncertainty of what's coming next that's making me like this" she told him, that was half the truth, she was very scared of what's going to come next, she didn't know what it was and that scared her but, God warned her to be weary around Cyrus and that had to mean something right? Maybe he was going to do something in the future that even he didn't know of. Either that, or he was a very good liar.

"You don't have to be scared of what's coming next" Cyrus said out of the blue very seriously "because I know what's coming next"

"You can't possibly, it's Ineffable, only God knows what's going to happen and that's because she's omniscient"

"Well I can take a wild guess can't I?"

"go ahead, I doubt it would make a difference"

"you're going to get through this. You're going to get rid of Lilith for good, you're going to save your parents, and you're going to get your happy ending. I know you will, because you're the unstoppable Delilah Eden Crowley, the best girl I've ever known, and the only one who could deal with something this big and not piss it up" Cyrus spoke sure as anything.

It occurred to Delilah that he was looking at her with the most confident look he had ever given her, his stormy grey eyes glistened over with hope and faith and... Love? no, it couldn't be love, she'd have known, she was probably just mistaking it for another emotion she couldn't distinguish and besides, if he was truly in love with her then surely he would have said something? he was the kind of boy who would just go up to his crushes and get rejected right there and then*. she'd seen it herself. yeah, she was probably just reading into it.

"and if you mess it up, as your best friend, it's my duty to mercy kill you and I'd rather not get to that option" Cyrus said with a sudden mock dark look in his eyes and his serious mood had shattered immediately, effectively ruining the perfect nature of the moment.

Delilah laughed at his sudden over the top nature "not if I get you first"

"see? you're laughing now, you can't go back to worrying now"