Ghost train

A/N: this story was written on a short trip to the doctors and back. It didn't go at all as I expected but that's what I love about it

"I hope you're joking" he muttered as he was pulled ahead by his gangly tall friend. Said gangly tall friend seemed to have no idea. "You've never been to a  fair?"

"Why would I have been. Mycroft always said they were dangerous and full of dodgy workers. All the more reason to go!" Sherlock exclaimed.

"This is ridiculous" John grumbled before he saw the rather large ghost train and Sherlock's pout. "Okay then we're going on that" he sighed and pointed at the black carts as they went back into the dark curtained tunnels.

"What is it?" Sherlock asked confused.

"I'm sure even you can deduce that, it's a ghost train"

"Ghosts don't exist"

John sighed loudly and grabbed Sherlock's arm before pulling him into the next available cart alongside him and pulling the bar back to keep them inside effectively trapping Sherlocks gangly legs in place to the chair.

"John? You really think this is a good experience for a first fair ground ride? I'm already getting numbness in my legs and the leg area is much to short for someone taller than a hobbit. No offence to you, as you seem fine. " Sherlock complained as the ride started and the darkness coated them like a thick blanket.

"Just shut up Sherlock, enjoy it, fair grounds aren't meant for comfort" John whispered back as something flashed ahead before a hand reached out swinging directly in front of their faces, a sudden waft of something dead wafting through. John flinched back and just in time too as the thing fell in front of their lonesome cart before they cart crunched over it on the defiant rails .

"Awfully realistic for a fair ground ride even the crunch is quite accurate" Sherlock commented.

"Oh god.." John whispered in horror as he pulled the bar undone and pushes it away from their bodies yanking Sherlock out into the sides away from the carts to investigate the awfully realistic, definitely hopefully..oh god real corpse that had clearly been deceased for a while going by the rotting flesh and the old chains cutting through the flesh of the wrist and the torso so it could easily be controlled by the mechanics of the machine.

"Sherlock?" John whispered to him before pulling him into the shadows as another cart crunches over the body, children's and adults excited screams of fear and adrenaline as they passed before pulling him back out to investigate the body.

"Looks like an old fairground worker. Going by the wear on the hands and the whole body type and build I'd assume they worked alongside as one of the fair staff." He crouched down beside the body, coat falling out behind him away from the rotting corpse, the smell was horrendous but after years in the job he barely noticed it.

The doctor crouched beside him but didn't touch. Muttering something about infectious bacteria and maggots and he'd really rather not besides it's hard to tell how long the person has been dead as most of the  date is usually in the skin and there wasn't really a lot of skin to go off by this point.

"Truly John, probably the best idea you've had this ride, I mean the ride was bloody awful but a mystery and a corpse chucked into the bag? This is brilliant! " Sherlock exclaimed excitedly before being shoved back into the shadows a hand clapped over his mouth by the shorter man.