15. Its never late

Nothing was going according to the plan. Ahaan was supposed to marry Ahana who was actually my sister Maya and I was supposed to be his bodyguard and secretory but I was roaming around in my real form, being Ahana. This was confusion I couldn't handle at all.
In reality, I was Ahana but I had to disguise myself as Maya to make sure Ahaan stays safe and protect him but fate had brought me back to being Ahana because my sister is busy making a couple out of us. Can't she simply marry this idiot and let go of this drama.

"Where are you going?" I heard Ahaan calling me the moment I started to walk upstairs. Good, Ahana's room is downstairs and I'm Ahana right now. This confusion will kill me.
"I...I. I was going to your room." I stammered.
"What? You literally just taunted me outside the door 2 minutes ago. Why going to my room when you know I'm not there?" He questioned. Go ahead, lie more.
"Because...because I think I dropped my earing in your room," I said hesitantly.
"Which earing?" Ahaan glared at my face with raised eyebrows as he began to walk towards me.
"The right one," I said touching my ear.
"That's your left ear." He said standing a footstep away from me.
"Yeah, I mean your right, my left," I said clearing my throat. What am I even saying?
He took another step and I realised there was actually no more steps left between us. He had cornered me on the staircase. This is it for me. Don't! Please Ahaan, don't! You're going to marry my sister, not me. Please, please.

He lifted his right hand up and I clasped my eyes tight praying for a miracle to happen. I told that idiot sister of mine it was a bad idea. If he guesses I'm the wrong girl, I'm dead. All my efforts are gone.
He brushed away my hair from my neckline and his fingers slowly touched my skin, my adrenaline rush forced me to open my eyes, I was about to push him away when something weird happened.
I matched his gaze and my world stopped. Things just passed by my head. Every single moment that I had spent with him, where I had known how crazy the thought of staying by him was. My mind knew what I was doing was right, I knew it was right for me to let the fake Ahana marry him, let my sister marry him because if I end up taking her place I might end up getting distracted from my mission. But today my heart had told me I can lie to everything but not his eyes, I can suppress everything but not these tears, after all, tears have a rivalry with eyes.

"Here's your earring," he said whispering in my ears as he untangled the earring from my dress. Instead of returning it to me, he kept it in his coat's pocket and left me standing on the stairs all shocked. He didn't even turn back but my tears followed each of his steps. For the first time ever I did ended up asking myself the most awkward question, am I doing right?

"Wipe your tears warrior, I hope now you know what I was talking about." My sister said appearing from nowhere still dressed as Maya. I gave her a smile and wiping my tears gave went back to my room.

I was on my bed, upside-down thinking over my decision, the wedding is in 3 days and I'm still not sure what to do. My sister is a nice girl and has everything it takes to be a queen. She is smart, she is pretty and she is a trained spy as well. She'll keep Ahaan happy. I'm sure about it.
"Ahaan will always look for his Ahana in her and that will always keep hurting your sister," Madeeha said sitting beside me.
"What have I done to always get caught by you?" I asked. I kept my head in her lap trying to still figure out what's going on.
"Aana, when we were kids, Maya was nowhere around us, even I had no clue about her existence but Ahana was and it was you. Ahaan might be crazy after Sufiya but we all know he has always looked at you like his best friend. He found peace in Maya because he saw his best friend in her. He found relief in Ahana today because he saw the real Ahana, what if he keeps calling your sister Aana, will she be happy?" Madeeha raised a question that had been haunting me even in my dreams.

"It won't bother her much. She is trained for this. You better get back and rest." I assured her with a smile and hugged her.
"I hope you know what you're doing." Madeeha gave me a kiss on my forehead and left me alone with my thoughts.

My soul knew it was a sacrifice I wasn't supposed to make but my heart knew if I didn't, nobody will ever be able to save Ahaan. After all, Siraj is awaiting his daughter's death's revenge.

I was staring blankly at the stars when I heard a voice I would never mistake, "You seem lonely, miss Maya." Ahaan smiled sitting beside me. He wore a grey T-shirt with a normal trouser fitting his perfectly tuned body. He was a sight to watch, to be honest. "You aren't sleeping? As far as I remember, you were supposed to be in bed hours ago." I joked slyly.

He simply stretched his body down on the ground embracing the green grasses, "I don't know, the moon was too inviting tonight." He mumbled. You've to have a very strong hold on your heart if you must stay so close beside such a charming man. This guy right here was so amusing, he could literally kill anyone with his looks, even his enemies.

"You used to like stars." I stupidly said after getting intoxicated by his charms. He turned to look at me supporting his head with his arm while a mischievous smirk spread across his lips, "Really? And how do you know that?"

Right, How can Maya know that? Right!

I bit my lips slowly turning my gaze away from and returning it to the love of my life, the moon, "Your Fiance slash best friend told me. She seems to know everything about you and even more. I feel you guys make a perfect match."

"Ahana does know a lot about me, but you know, it's a little weird. To be honest, she was always there for me whenever I needed her when we were kids, of course. Then she vanished, and now she is back as my soon to be wife. When I met her first, she seemed well acquainted to me but then when she came here it was a mess. She knew things but she felt somewhat unknown. Today for the first time in so long, I've finally gotten to see the real Ahana. The one I used to adore as if she belonged to me, as if she was mine to make fun off and as if she was mine to hide behind." He laughed without knowing the gravity of the words he had just used. So maybe according to him, his Ahana was truly behaving like his today but in reality, it was because she was the real Ahana.

God, what do I do? My heart ached all of sudden, this pain was so new it was killing me. It was making me realise, I was Mistakenly yours, Ahaan.

I stood up abruptly and without saying a word walked back to my room and locked myself. Not to make Ahaan worry, I simply texted him that I had a headache and needed to rest. I didn't know if he would worry for Maya personally or not, but I did know, he was a man of his words and to him, Maya was also a friend for whom he felt responsible. He would definitely feel bad for her.