23. Crushing Pasts

It always happens that whatever dreams we see we try to look for them in reality, but Humair was making my reality much beautiful than my dreams were. My dreams were always focused around Ahaan while in reality it was always Humair who had the power to make me smile. But inspite everything, today I saw Ahaan and he was not happy. And the extent was he was actually ready to be a fake version of him.
I was getting ready in a purple Abaya to go downstairs to the room where the bride and groom were getting Hena done on their hands. I left the room along with Humair because technically I was mute and he was my voice. We went downstairs and saw the rituals going on smoothly. Weirdly, not many people seemed happy. Madeeha wasn't. My heart was racing a marathon as I stepped down in the mansion and went back to the study room. I asked Humair to follow me. We were supposed to look for the two diaries that created these massacres.
"But who writes a diary in this era?" Humair pouted.
"Someone who is true to themselves. Now keep looking." I snapped.
We looked for around 10 minutes, in almost all the shelves but were able to find only one. The real one that I gave to Madeeha. The second one was still missing.
"What do you say we try looking for it in Samar's room?" Humair suggested.
"She is too clever. The diary is probably not in her room. It's in someone's room who needs it, like Madeeha or Ahaan." I explained.
"I think you're..." Humair stopped in between his sentence and pushed me beside the book shelf pinning me to the wall.
"Who is in there?" Somebody asked from the door.
"That's Ahaan. What do we do now?" I asked him.
He looked at me smiling sheepishly before he slowly pressed his lips over my forehead and placed both his palms over my cheeks to cover my face entirely.
"Who is..." Ahaan stopped when he saw us.
"You guys do realise we have given you a room for these kind of stuffs." He added before leaving us alone as he went out annoyed.
I pushed Humair away as soon as Ahaan left and he fell on the floor.
"Strong. That's the reason I love you." He chuckled.
"Playboy. That's the reason I don't." I laughed along helping him stand.
"Let's better check on everything and then search their rooms next?" Humair suggested rubbing his back.
He went out first and got stumbled with Samar on his way. She was lost while she was walking, actually running. Her Hena was all over Humair's white shirt and her hand no longer had Ahaan's name written over them.
"Well its destiny. I'm telling you it is giving you signs that you should run away with me."
"What do you know? If it was actually destined, we would have been together years ago." Samar sighed smiling weirdly. I was still in the library.
"Ahh, destiny is a mess. But you still do have a chance, Miss. Ahana Sayeed." Ahaan flirted with her touching her cheeks with his palm. Samar looked at his hand and then on his favorite watch that he usually never took off, not even when he went to take naps. She slowly held his hand and removed it from her face and took a deeper look on the watch. She touched the dial and slowly removed it from his wrist and Humair didn't say a word to her.
"Perhaps, Ahana always has a chance with you. Humi, you don't need this anymore." She said throwing the watch at the floor. It cracked open and Samar walked away crushing its dial under her feet. I was so shocked with all the scene I could hardly understand what was going on. Humair picked up the broken pieces of the watch and kept it inside his pocket wrapping them in a handkerchief. I heard somebody's footsteps approaching the library so I decided to leave.
I walked out of the room following Humair who was busy in his phone playing some stupid game. Suddenly my Abaya got stuck in my foot and I was about to stumble but caught my balance in time holding Humair's arm.
"Ouch!" He screamed in pain and his mobile phone followed the process of breaking by landing on the floor and cracking open.
"I'm so sorry, I didn't know you're this weak." I said partially laughing.
"I'm not weak madam, you're too strong." He said as he bent down to pick it up.
"Humair." Ahaan called him.
"Bride stealer, there you're again." Humair teased him.
"I know she is your wife and stuff but stop fooling around everywhere. This palace is not meant for your untamed romances." Ahaan said in an irritated tone and kept walking on his own path.
"He knows." I murmured.
"What?" Humair asked out of confusion.
"He knows I'm Maya." I said giving him a faint smile.
"And how exactly?" He asked.
"Because he does." I replies walking ahead.
We decided to split up and look for the diary and clues in Madeeha's and Ahaan's room. For a matter of fact everyone was busy downstairs and I was pretty sure no one would even notice if we were gone separately. I went to Ahaan's room and began my search from his closet. I knew where he kept his keys and that was an advantage. I also kept a track of his secret places where he hides his special documents, I looked over there as well. I went to his washroom to look for the diary behind his geezer because he once told me that was the best place to hide his stuff. I tried searching everywhere but wasn't able to find anything. Finally I decided to look above his closet and climbed up a stool. I was collecting and going through all his stuff when I finally got something. It was the diary I had been looking for. I got down the closet and wiped out the dust.
"So you found it?" My bones found new roots in the place where I was standing listening to Ahaan's voice.
I was about to speak when I realised I was pretending to be mute.
"Oh right, you can't speak, you're mute." He said snatching the diary from my hand. He was being so rude I wanted to knock him down and kick him in the nuts till he finally realizes his mistakes, but clearly his eyes were telling a different story.
"I don't understand why are you doing this." He faked a smile throwing the diary into his dustbin. He took a match stick from his side drawer and burnt everything in the dustbin. The fire marked the death of all my kindness towards him. I knew it he was confused and disillusioned yet I didn't believe he could be this cruel.
"I'm telling you again. I have already lost Sufiya, Madeeha doesn't talk to me anymore because she trusts you and you, Maya, have already betrayed me. I'm not in a mood to lose Ahana so just let everything be. It's been a month and I thought you have had your punishment in the prison but here you're again, repeating the same frauds." He said gritting his teeth.
"So you know it's me but you don't want to admit how you know it?" I gave a faint laugh.
"Still stuck on the same theory. I'm never going to believe you. I hope you know that. I don't care why you have this face or what are your intentions, as long as you stay away from me and my family, I won't harm you." He snapped.
"You can't harm me. You might put me back in prison, you might give me another cut on my face or you might even pull that dagger into through my heart, but still you can't harm me. You know why? Because you want to protect me and you're afraid that you would harm me if you let me roam freely." I said looking into his.
"Bullshit again." He smirked and added,
"Do you realise what you have done? Do you even care? I trusted you with all my heart and this is what I get Maya. Thank you for your many lessons. I'll forever be grateful to you. Now if you could excuse me, my bride is waiting downstairs, please bless us tomorrow at our wedding. And please try not to be to involved with your fake husband."
"You know I'm afraid to look into your eyes. I'm afraid they'll tell me they loved a pair of real hazel eyes and that they were meant to stay together. I'm afraid they'll tell me that love can actually happen twice." I said picking up Sofiya's photograph and smashed it on the ground. Ahaan looked at me intensely and yelled out loud, "Maya! Don't forget your limits."
"If I were to forget my limits, Ahana Sayeed would be already your wife, twice by now." I said as I walked out of his room crumbling the broken pieces of the glass frame under my feet. The blood was pretty stubborn, it didn't leave my body until the cut got pretty deep. As I walked out I saw Ahaan looking at me with arrogance. That is when I knew, I might win the game and defeat Samar with my key card but I had already lost the battle in the hands of fate because for me Ahaan was my fate and it was clear that I was never going to be by his side again.