14. Zohrab

It's irritating how I always end up getting trapped in such situations. Now I can't even ask Ahaan to leave and switch back with my twin sister because she is the last one interested in allowing me to do so.
I look at the huge painting of the former king as I cross the halls of Zohrab Palace and realize life will never be the same again. I was always afraid that someday I'll be stuck in a situation where everything will face dreadful endings and these situations have just begun to get worst.

I tiptoed after Ahaan making sure not to drag much attention forgetting nobody would care if they see me holding his hand because for everyone I'm Ahana right now, not Maya.
"Aana, where're you lost?" Ahaan snapped.
"These heels are pretty high. Can't walk properly." I lied.
"You can walk in 8 inches tall heels, these seem to be 3-4?" He questions. I'm going to be caught in no time.
"I know. It's just, I twisted my ankle while showering today." I pretended to sigh. My eyes were looking for places to hide and he was busy trying to make out the truth. Luckily and surprisingly he didn't pay any extra attention and I managed to get out of the trouble easily.

Everything was on my side except for fate.
"What's with all the noise here?" I asked him.
"What do you think?" He questioned back.
I looked around to find people crying and yelling out. Half of them abusing agile others ranting their miseries. What was more weird was the fact that almost all of them were wounded badly and some of them were bandits.
"These were all the refugees who had entered Zohrab's boundries a month back. Half of them were sent to Mirajgarh and Ruman bro gave them shelter and jobs. The rest were brought here. They thought Zohrab was a rich land and they'll get enough land for cultivation and poultry but the harsh reality was something they were unaware of." Ahaan sighed.
"This is madness. Do you see these little kids, it's like these are all pile of bodies fighting for a proper grave for themselves. We have to do something." I yelled. For the first time ever I was horrified. I had never seen people who lived like they don't deserve to live. These people had bodies that were half rotten, imagine what they would be eating or how they would be sleeping.

"Yeah, we are here to give them a better life. We'll replace the monarch over here and then free Zohrab." Ahaan declared. His eyes had the spark that marked the end of an era for Zohrab. The Sun was high above our heads and we were walking past these refugees. Ahaan had given up all he had brought with him, his money, his jacket, his goggles, his watch, everything.
He had arranged food and water facility for these people and had made several camps for them. Qamar Ziyadh was the previous monarch and Ahaan had already over thrown him with Ruman's help. Not just this but even Ravish had made sure he stays in jail for a very long time. Qamar didn't have a proper family but he had 28 children and 6 wives all of whom he had poisoned a day before he was sent to prison.

It was around 8'o clock in the evening when  Ahaan realised we needed to head back. We sat in our car and the driver drove us back. I wasn't sure of anything much but to my surprise I did knew life was going to change. I had felt for these people, I wanted to help them and I wanted them to be happy. I wanted them to live the way a person deserved to live.

"Ahana, I'm sorry." Ahaan said before we stepped inside the Mirajgarh palace.
"Sorry for?" I asked him.
"I told you we're going on a royal date and I took you over to such a horrible place. But in my defense I wanted you to know the depths of what you're putting yourself into. I wanted you to understand their pain and their lust for life. They don't know who is right for them or he deserves to rule them, all they know is they are the people who were wronged and somebody will get them justice." He replied holding my hand. His eyes had the pain I saw in their eyes, if he is not suitable to rule them, then I don't know who is.

"Thank you. Thank you for trusting me with all of them, I promise I'll make sure nobody gets to hold a single scratch on them." I gave him an assuring smile. I knew I meant my words but to Ahaan this wouldn't even make sense, as he began to giggle a few seconds later.
"Well young lady, you leave the masculine works to me, and you better just stay back and provide me all the emotional and mental support that I need. We have a lot many muscled men for the strength work." He said tapping my back. I felt annoyed but he was right, he didn't know about my hidden talents, so if he wants me to stay back like a princess, what's wrong in it?

We walked for a few minutes and were finally at the main gate that had 5 guards trying to do something to the gate. One had a hammer and one had a gun, one had a weird sharp tool while two were constantly pushing the door.

"What is going on?" Ahaan asked.
"Something is wrong with this door. Its stuck." One of the guard said.
"And all these tools couldn't open it?" Ahaan asked again.
"Nope." The guards replied in corus.
Ahaan tried to help the guards and they kept on doing it for the next 15 minutes. The final conclusion was to break open the door.

"Can I try?" I asked.
"Aana begum, I just told you, leave the masculine work for the bodybuilders. You'll hurt yourself." Ahaan mocked. Well this did irritate me.
"Or how about I don't hurt myself and open this lovely piece of art for you guys." I said.
They all looked at me amazed as I went back a few steps, twisted my neck and ran straight towards the door. I slammed my pointed heel right into the keyhole, did a back flip and broke the sapphire gem stuck in between the doors using my metallic bangle and safely landed where I was standing 10 seconds ago.

All their jaws seemed to have got crumbled below my heels as they looked at me with their eyes popping out. The door slowly cranked open.
"Its not about feminity of being masculine, it's about using brain and strength together." I said tapping Ahaan shoulder before I stepped inside the house. I could still sense his attempts on trying to catch his breath after what he just saw.
I rock!