Chapter Sixteen: Agreement

Jack's POV

I'm just sitting here staring at her. My eyes have not once left her face for the past three hours. They barely allow themselves to blink. I'm holding her hand and rubbing my thumb over it slightly.

This is all too real. I feel terrible. Like my heart just got ripped out. It doesn't help that our last conversation before this didn't go so smoothly. I shouldn't have walked away from her. She was suffering from her "nightmare" and I just walked away because the whole thought made me frustrated.

I didn't even get to tell her I loved her.

My eyes flicker at the slight movement I think I catch. I almost think my eyes are playing tricks on me. Then I see it again.

A twitch on her cheek.

She's moving. She's alive and she's-

My eyes grow wide as I watch the scene unfolding before me.

I watch as her (h/c) hair slowly turns into a deep red color. I see her skin turn so pale that it's almost as white as mine. I watch as a small black heart forms across her cheek bone.

What is happening?!

I suck in a sharp breath as her eyes shoot open. They are no longer her original (e/c), but now a light grey color.

I almost fall backwards as she sucks in a breath and quickly sits up looking around the room. I'm expecting anything from her at this point.

Crying.

Laughing.

Even silence.

What I'm not expecting are the words that slip out of her mouth a second later.

"Pitch? Where's Pitch?!"

I feel my eyes go wide as my grip on her hand tightens.

Where's WHO now?!

It seems she just now notices my presence because she whips her head towards me with a puzzled look on her face. Then, the words that I had never dreamed would come out of her mouth, did.

"Who are you?"

I choked. I literally choked on my air.

Who am I? She can't be serious. This has to be some sort of sick joke.

"Cupid it's me, Ja-"

I'm cut off by Tooth opening the door leading someone else into the room. The very last person I wanted to see right now.

Pitch Black.

And it broke my heart even more when I heard her voice say his name.

"Pitch!" She exclaims and quickly flies over to him and wraps her arms around his neck.

I'm already in way too much shock to even comprehend that my girl just flew across the room.

My bestfriend that I've known for 16 years doesn't even remember me.

What I'm even more shocked to find is the pained expression plastered across Pitch's face as he loosely wraps his arms around (Y/n).

His eyes meet my gaze and he mouths words to me that I can tell are fully sincere.

"I'm so sorry."

That's when I connect everything together.

The reason Pitch was hanging around Burgess. That ring that she wore. The "nightmare" she had. The bite marks covering her stomach. The fact that she is now immortal.