7

September 6, 2017

Lidia Vargas

12:04 a.m.

Lidia is sitting on the couch looking at the time, four-past-midnight. It's a new day but it doesn't feel like new. Nothing will ever feel the same without her best friend, Mateo. He won't be there to help raise Penny. He won't be there with her when Penny goes away to college. He won't be there to play cards with Lidia and call he out for cheating. He won't be there to help plan her wedding if he ever got married. He won't be there to grow old with her.

He won't ever be there again.

Lidia clenches a pillow and screaming into it, crying.

With no family she'll have to plan the funeral. With no family she'll be the only one there.

Her phone rings, it's one of Rufus's friends, after the Clint's Graveyard incident they all exchanged numbers. They said she was "an honorary Pluto." I suppose they trusted her because Mateo did and Rufus loved Mateo till the end.

She picks up the phone.

"Hello?" She says trying not to cry.

It's Aimee, she's crying.

"The police just released the name of the kid who was hit a few hours ago by Althea..." she chokes back tears, "It was Rufus." She starts crying.

"I'm so sorry, I know he meant a lot to you"

"Thanks," she whispers while crying "I'm sorry about Mateo too, he seemed really sweet. It's a shame Rufus didn't meet him sooner, they would've been happy really together."

Would've. Rufus and Mateo are now both past tense.

"I think.. We all would've made good friends."

"I think so too" lidia begins crying because she believes Aimee. She knows they would've all been friends because Mateo brought out the good in everyone and got along with everyone. He was too good.

"Yeah.. do you want Rufus's Instagram" Aimee says softly.

"Why" lidia says confused.

"It's just that Rufus posted some photos of Mateo on there and I thought-"

"Yes!" She says loudly. "Sorry... just.. yeah"

"Its ok, it's @Rufsonpluto"

Lidia types it into her instagram and see the photos. "Thanks..." she cries more. "These are really cute, is it ok if i use some at Mateo's funeral"

Funeral. That's so painful to say.

"Of course, can we use them at Rufus's? Is that ok?"

"Definitely."

"Thanks, I know it's hard. He was your best friend right?"

"Yeah, my only friend, and his only friend, we always had each other," she pauses, her voice breaking "and now i'm the only one going to be at his funeral"

Lidia begins crying, she can't tell who ended the call but just remembers it ending.

She has to plan her best friends funeral.