Chapter 1.13: Don't Force My Hand

By the time Yu Yan finally wakes up, the Vermillion Bird has reached the sixth stage and Ash has already been saddled with a kid.

Given the circumstances, Ash thinks it's reasonable that she can't bring herself to smile at Yu Yan. However, the little lady automatically senses an issue with Ash's behavior and rushes to check if she's alright. Ash might've found that endearing if it weren't for the fact that she has to jump back into her little persona. Ash feels rather bitter as she responds to the little lady's fussing, but she refuses to give up halfway.

Acting flustered, Ash rushes to show Yu Yan her good health and, taking it a step further, sweeps the little lady into her arms to prove her wellbeing. With a bright smile, Ash holds her close and says "I'm perfectly fine, see?"

"I-I got it, so put me down!" Yu Yan orders with a light blush dusting her cheeks.

Huh?

What was it that finally made it through Yu Yan's thick skull?

In the two days the pair spent together as they traveled to the Vermillion Bird's nest, Ash came up with all sorts of ways to hit on Yu Yan, but she was never fazed. Why is this instance any different from the rest?

Was it the proximity of their faces that set her off? The bright smile adorning Ash's face? The large amount of physical contact that position entailed? The gentle way Ash held her? Which was it? Was it the combination of all of the above? At this point, Ash is just grasping at straws. She was never good at this.

Yu Yan was most likely just embarrassed, but Ash should take note of everything.

Besides, what do they call it? The suspension bridge effect, right? If Ash leads their conversation the right way when she confesses, Ash might just be able to convince Yu Yan that the way her heart skips a beat when Ash surprises her is a sign of her love.

Laughing jubilantly to cover up her momentary pause, Ash cheers "Yes, your majesty!"

Flushing crimson, Yu Yan glares at her and shouts "Zhang Jing!"

Im response to their banter, the distortion goes absolutely crazy, furiously reprimanding Ash even as it despairs at the wreck Liu Han's harem has become. Ash's self-imposed mission is suddenly looking a lot brighter. If 078 is acting like this because of a few blushes, how would it act when Yu Yan actually falls? Ash is practically vibrating in place just thinking about it.

Ash doesn't usually go this far with her tricks, but 078 has become quite obstinate over the years and has taken to blatantly avoiding Ash's digs for information. Ash almost liked it better when it was always shivering in fear. So, for now, Ash will just take her time reveling in the distortion's suffering.

Smiling happily enough to make Yu Yan's anger begin to ebb away, Ash finally introduces her to the vibrant lady patiently waiting at Ash's side. "This is the Vermillion Bird I fought. It—" Ash cuts herself off before she starts again. "She agreed to make a contract with you."

"What?" Yu Yan's jaw drops. "H-How?"

"She was dying, remember? Since I helped her reach the sixth level and extended her lifespan, she agreed to make a contract with you." It's also why the bird doesn't look so sickly anymore.

Yu Yan is more than a little shocked, but she immediately jumps onto Ash, hugging her tightly and sputtering words of gratitude in near tears.

Ash didn't even engineer this, so she was probably the most surprised when she got a faceful of Yu Yan's chest. At first she felt very pleased, hearing 078's cries of utter despair, but after a few minutes, Ash thinks she might suffocate. There's no fresh air and Ash's head was captured when she was exhaling, so Ash thinks she ought to deal with this before she dies.