Chapter 1.18: Bros Before-

"Zhang Jing!" Yu Yan rushes forward.

"Feng Yun!" Liu Han rushes forward.

Yu Yan grabs her left hand. Liu Han grabs her right wrist.

"Let's see if we can nab a place to stay. We can't stay at an inn forever, right?" Yu Yan smiles and gently pulls her to the left.

Liu Han, smiling with matching enthusiasm, holds Ash firmly in place. "Feng Yun, I'm planning on going to the Central Forest. Want to come?"

For one reason or another, this situation can pretty much sum up what her relationship with the two most important characters has turned into. Ash thinks she can safely say she's reached her goal. Ash also thinks that she doesn't want to be here anymore.

'How can I leave?'

[Liu Han has yet to reach immortality. Until he does, I cannot determine the outcome of this world.]

'Why?' This sounds like bullshit.

[It is difficult to predict the actions of a figure with enough power to collapse the core of a world.]

Ash very nearly sighs.

Forcing herself to set the issue aside, Ash turns to Yu Yan and dons an apologetic expression. "Sorry, Yu Yan, but I promised the little bird I'd help him reach the next stage today. Can we look for housing another time?"

The sparkle in Yu Yan's eyes dims. Dammit. "Actually, it's alright. We can look around today. It'll be better if I can help him reach the next stage in a stable environment, right?" Ash flashes a comforting smile at Yu Yan.

She relaxes and so does Ash. Is Ash seriously settling into the "considerate lover" position? She doesn't welcome this change.

"Are you just going to ignore me?" Liu Han tugs on her arm. "Aren't we friends? Don't people always say 'bros before—"

Yu Yan interrupts him. "I dare you to finish that sentence."

Liu Han laughs carelessly and looks back to Ash. "You don't care how I knew your other name?"

Ash wants to know, but she'd rather act in a consistent manner. Even if Liu Han knows the way she acted as Feng Yun, her behavior as Zhang Jing could be attributed to the changes a person goes through after a sizable amount of time passes. Or so she hopes. Ash knows she's screwed up her act, but she's not willing to budge any more than she already has.

And so, her response is a placid: "We can still meet up tomorrow, can't we?"

Ash is weak to her curiosity. What are you going to do? Sue her?

Liu Han blinks. Then he chuckles a bit and nods. "Sure."

Yu Yan pouts.

Ash doesn't want to continue comforting her. In fact, Ash would really like to end this "happy couple" game. Could Ash just kill her? If she's careful, no one would suspect her—not with how lovestruck she's been acting. Since Ash has broken most of Yu Yan's connection to Liu Han, there's no real benefit in keeping the little lady alive.

In fact, it would probably be easier if Ash simply made her disappear. She still has to exercise a bit of caution though—Ash is so strong that it restricts a lot of her options. The most convincing method she can think of is going to the Central Forest and antagonizing a magical creature stronger than herself. Then, she could set up a nice little play.

Having settled the issue of Yu Yan's worth, Ash's eyes become even more gentle as she gazes at the little lady.

Yu Yan surprised her at times. The little things she'd do every so often made even Ash feel like she was being charmed. If she doesn't get rid of Yu Yan soon, Ash might just get attached. All in all, it's best if Ash eliminates the issue at the root.

Catching sight of Ash's gaze, the little lady flushes exquisitely. Ash chuckles and urges her forward.

Once they've purchased a decent place, Ash throws out a casual question. "I'm really glad I can spend more time with you, but is it alright for you to live so far away from your clan compound?"

"I've got permission!" Then, muttering under her breath, Yu Yan continues. "Besides, it's better if I keep you away from Liu Han."

For some reason, Ash is fairly certain Yu Yan wanted her to hear that. Does she want Ash to take the initiative to stay away from Liu Han?

How convenient. If that's the case, the little lady won't refuse Ash's offer.

"Do you want to come to the Central Forest with us?" With a slightly embarrassed smile, Ash finishes her act. "It'll be a bit boring without you."

Yu Yan's eyes shine as she grabs Ash's hands, waving them up and down excitedly. "Of course I'll come!"

It seems that's settled. When Yu Yan calms down a bit, Ash sits on the edge of their bed and pulls the little lady into her arms before starting a pointless conversation.

Unfortunately, this originally pointless conversation becomes exceptionally pointed in just a few minutes.

Speaking quietly, the little lady asks a rather problematic question. "Why does Liu Han call you Feng Yun? Zhi Ruo and Yun Hui seem to know you well too."

Ash opens her mouth to reply, but Yu Yan is faster. "Moreover, from what I've heard, Feng Yun abandoned their group without warning." The little lady pauses for a bit, letting her volume drop to a mere whisper. "Zhang Jing wouldn't do that to me, would she?"

"I wouldn't," Ash replies firmly.

Yu Yan lowers her head so Ash can't see her expression. "I wonder."

Ash just holds Yu Yan tighter. What else can she say?

Anyway, going by his current progress, Liu Han will reach the seventh stage in a month or so. Maybe Ash could let the little lady continue doing as she pleases. Whatever happens after Ash leaves isn't any of her business, so she might as well leave Yu Yan alone.

Just as Ash finishes that thought, the little lady snuggles deeper into her embrace. Ash can only barely keep herself from freezing up.

Nope, scratch that. Yu Yan has to go.

A/N: Sorry it's short, but I just showered with a cockroach and that's basically worn away at my psyche. I need recovery time.