Chapter 1.16: A Smile and Spite

One week later and they're in X country despite the truly ridiculous stops they've had to make along the way. Why the fuck did they have to stop to chase a hive of magical bees? Ash could reluctantly accept the Vermillion birds lacking decency and common sense on account of their beastly nature, but what the actual fuck was wrong with Yu Yan?

Why did an honest to goodness human want to chase a goddamn swarm of bees? Why the fuck did Ash think seducing Yu Yan was going to be easy?

However, Ash did manage to make some decent progress in their relationship. Ash can now drape herself over Yu Yan's shoulders and whine without Yu Yan tensing up and awkwardly patting the arms wrapped around her.

Yes, Ash knows it's pathetic. She can make some nice-sounding plans just fine, but she never claimed to be good at this "romance" thing!

If she did, that was a blatant lie.

Anyway, now they're just outside the capital of X Country, so the stupid side-trips they made along the way do not matter. Therefore, by extension, the fact that she was chased by a goddamn cricket for three days does not matter either. It didn't happen.

When they arrive at the city gates, Liu Han was already waiting there, right outside the gates, placidly leaning against the gate as the guards making crudely hidden jokes at his expense.

Ash frowns a bit. The situation already feels like it was slipping from her grasp.

Seeing Yu Yan, he composes himself and greets the approaching group. "Hey, Yu Yan!"

Yu Yan's eyes light up and she rushes to Liu Han's side before happily introducing the birds to Liu Han. When he congratulates her on her contract, Yu Yan's small smile emits such warmth and joy that Ash can barely look at it.

Damnit. Why is it so hard to seduce a little lady? Ash's efforts have obviously bore no fruit!

Sizing up Liu Han, Ash jumps in front of Yu Yan and, before the guards vaguely astonished gazes, shoots out a series of swift sentences. "Hello, I am Zhang Jing. Are you a relative of hers? I would like to formally pursue her. You don't mind, do you?" Ash faces Liu Han head-on, with a look in her eyes challenging him, daring him to say otherwise. She's getting really fucking tired of this game.

Shaking his head, Liu Han replies. "I am not Yu Yan's relative; I'm just a friend of hers. Still, I wish you luck!" Liu Han's expression didn't falter even as Yu Yan's face crumples in a subdued sort of pain.

Ash's heart soars, barely able to mask the delight in her eyes.

The bigger bird frowns but quietly turns away, with the abnormally large objects hanging from her human form's chest turning with her. On the other hand, the little bird seemed to see this as the perfect moment to latch onto Ash's thigh and cling to it as his life depended on it. Ash is not looking forward to unsticking kid. On the way here, the just-transformed kid managed to wrap his new, scrawny little arms around her neck, giggling giddily even as she fled from those goddamned—

"Zhang Jing?" Yu Yan is looked at her with concern. Why?

Looking around, Ash finally realizes they've entered the market place, going by the little worker ants so eagerly navigating through the bustling city. Ash is spacing out a bit too often nowadays. She'll have to look into that.

"Yes, my love?" Ash tries flirting.

Yu Yan giggles, "So you were alright after all."

This is never going to work.

She turns to look for their company, hoping that the birds aren't so unaccustomed to their new forms that they've caused trouble for them. She scans the crowd, but cannot find the pair. Sighing, she turns to Yu Yan. "Where are the birds?"