xviii. hidden sorrows

How could I mess up like that? The thought floated around in my head. I had gotten off the taxi at near the subdivision of my house. I walked to a nearby playground to rest my feet.

I checked my phone. 10:32 PM. I slowly pulled my heels from my feet. Although there was dimly set light, I felt a stinging pain on the back of my foot.

Now that I thought about it. If Jin finally tied the knots with Minkyung, that would mean our lessons would be over. I did admit that I was sad, for some reason I had this attachment to the "superior Kim Seokjin."

I thought he was a stuck up college student who never cared about others. In reality I found out so much more. Well I guess it's all over now. I looked at my phone to see a message from Jin.

Seokjin
Thanks for everything.
In the end, Minkyung
agreed to date me. We
won't have to see each
other anymore.

We won't have to see each other anymore. Each words hit me like bullets. I bit my lip. I pressed two letters on the keyboard.

Ok.

"Yeji? I didn't know you lived in this area." From the first tear that fell from my eyes, I quickly brushed it away when I saw Minhyun in front of me.

"You live here too?" I was shocked and didn't expect this outcome.

"Yea, I live in the apartment just up the hill from the playground." Minhyun wore sweatpants and a white t-shirt and held an unopened ice cream in his hand.

"Really? I live nearby there too." I thought fate was a funny thing when it played a role in people's lives. To think we were so close all this time, but I rarely saw him.

"I know that." Minhyun replied chuckling. "Here." He handed me his ice cream.

"No, I just can't take ice cream from you." I shook my head thinking how rude it would be.

"I already ate one on my way here. Plus you look like you need it more." He smiled and I couldn't deny how much an ice cream would make me feel better.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"So what's with the beautiful dress? Why are you here alone?" Minhyun slightly pushed the swing.

"Oh-" I almost forgot I was wearing a dress. "It was for a party."

"Well you look really pretty." He turned to look at me. I felt my cheeks blush in the night. I was glad the pinkish tint wasn't visible at this time of day.

"You're only one of the few guys who have told me that." I laughed.

"Well I'm not wrong." He chuckled. "Also, I'm sorry again if our first date was awkward. It's not everyday where Hwang Minhyun has a date with a girl. Although it might seem quite the opposite."

"No, it was pretty fun." I denied his remarks.

"Do you want to go to the movies with me tomorrow?" Minhyun questioned through the silence which took me aback.

"Sure, why not. What time?" It wasn't like I had anything important to do.

"Four o'clock." Minhyun was relieved that his second date wasn't blantly rejected.

"I'll be there."

"Also, I'm dropping you off your house. I can't trust who'll be lurking around these streets these days." He stood up from the swings.

"Are you sure? I don't want to inconvenience you like this." I was embarrassed to rely on him, and it wasn't too long since I knew him.

"I'm positive." He held his hand out for me to hold. I sheepishly took a hold of it anyways.

"Ah." I yelped out from the pain.

"Are you ok?" Minhyun grasped the top of my arm as he looked at my barefeet and heels. He suddenly bent down as his back was facing me. "I'll carry you."

"Huh, what do you mean. No I'll just walk bare footed." I didn't want to make our relationship awkward.

"I am not letting you walk barefoot to your house." He was adamant about it. "I won't move from this spot if you don't agree."

"I'm sorry if I'm heavy." I couldn't help but feel self-conscious about my weight.

Minhyun got up, and I tightly wrapped my arms around his neck.

Kim Seokjin I hope you're happy.

- - -

Seokjin came home by midnight tired and drunk. He loosened the first few buttons from his shirt as he sat down on the couch. "Everyone is pathetic." He laughed from sadness. Jin pulled the phone from his pocket to see two new messages from Yeji.

Ok. I hope you get the love you deserve from Minkyung, good luck. :)

He took a few seconds to look at the smiling face. "Just tell me you won't let me go like this." Jin threw his phone in the air as it hit the hard wood floor.

Jin started sobbing. He knew it was his fault that he drove Yeji away. He was so blinded by Minkyung that he never saw how much Yeji meant to him. She reminded him so much of the love he got from his mom. He missed it so much.

- - -

Flashback...

"Jin." Minkyung cried as she hugged him. "He left me. He-"

Seokjin shushed her as he returned the hug. "Don't worry I'm here for you."

Minkyung brushed the tears away. "D-Do you remember when you proposed to me so we could date? Is it still possible to accept that?" Minkyung looked at Jin hoping he would say yes.

He was taken aback for a second. To think that she would accept him that quickly was possible. "Y-yes." He replied without thinking for another second.

"Thank you!" She pulled him closer again for a big hug. "I promise to be the best girlfriend for you."

Seokjin couldn't answer nor agree. If this happened earlier, he would've been ecstatic. For some reason he felt like he was lying to himself within the false sense of happiness.

But he still said yes.

- - -

Jin took Yeji for granted. Now that she physically pulled herself away from him, a hole dug his heart.