13

Winter blew fiercer, but to them it was just deeper snow to play in.

"It's best that you don't go to school for this week," Hyewon said gently, wearing her coat over her blazer. "Yena and Chaeyeon will be here with you."

Pouting, Sakura nodded sadly. "Promise you'll be back?"

"Promise," Hyewon said, turning to leave. Wonyoung and Yujin got up from the table and left to take the train to Starship Uni.; Hitomi to take the train to Chumjjang; Nako, Minju, and Yuri squeezing into Chaewon's car to Hanseon.

And it left Yena, Chaeyeon, and Sakura alone.

"If you guys want some time together, now's your chance," Yena said, "I'm going to do my work."

"What work?" Sakura turned to her.

Yena pointed at the sty. "Mucking."

Chaeyeon scrunched up her nose and nodded quickly, "Yea, okay." She started collecting the dishes from the table with Sakura.

...

They'd taken the train to the bus station.

"Starship Uni.," the bus driver yelled hoarsely.

Wonyoung slung her bag strap over her shoulder and started to get up from her seat, but Yujin pulled her back down. The bus driver slammed her foot on the pedal and rumbled off.

"What the hell, we just missed our stop!" Wonyoung hissed.

"People get sick during winter, it's normal for them to be absent," Yujin scoffed and reclined in her seat, intertwining her fingers behind her head. "Anyway, when she calls out for Asan, wake me up."

"...alright."

Yujin may be extremely retarded in the eyes of the other eleven, but her plans always worked out in one or the other way.

...

"Hyewon-ah," Jiwoo called out.

Hyewon closed the door behind her and flinched. Maybe Miyun had regained control over the class again? She braced herself to be slapped, or worse, hit with objects.

But Jiwoo faced her with a plastic bag. "I got this for Sakura," she said, holding it out. "Where is Sakura?"

"She didn't come today," Hyewon said in her usual gentle tone. It changed when she jerked her chin towards Miyun subtly and she hissed, voice laced with threat, "It's because of what she did yesterday."

"You and your freak friend," Miyun interrupted, not looking up from her phone. It seems she sat alone today, no crowd of friends surrounding her. "I'm going to kill her. She's not human and that's- that's wrong."

"More human than you'll ever be," Daeman muttered, not looking away from his book.

"More human than you'll ever be," Jiwoo repeated. She walked beside Hyewon as she made her way to her seat, then pulled up a chair to her desk.

Hyewon put the bag on her desk and opened it. A neatly plastic-wrapped large raw beef steak, thin red blood collecting in the ribs of the styrofoam tray. She looked at it, then quizzically back up at Jiwoo.

"I thought she might like that," Jiwoo mumbled. "Consider it sorry from me and Seunmi."

A boy walked towards them. He swept his hair back before he crouched down so it wouldn't tickle Hyewon, and placed a plain cardboard box the size of half a tissue box on her desk.

"Sorry from me and the guys," Songpyo said, a watery smile on his face. "If you see her later, tell her Jaeyeong punched Miyun yesterday. Should guarantee a laugh."