24

At night, Miyun brought up the earlier question as they ate cup noodles on the floor.

Sakura had her leg wrapped in extra gauze courtesy of Jiwoo. She sat with her legs crossed between Miyun and Hyewon, leaning against Hyewon's shoulder.

"What about Jiwoo's house again?" Miyun asked. She bit into a slice of fishcake before setting her cup and chopsticks down.

"Oh," Hyewon said. She relaxed her arm as she lowered her chopsticks. "Yea, did you see anything like a large weapon or badge?"

"I don't think hunters would be that obvious," Sakura pointed out. She wasn't eating anything, just sucking on a chicken bone Chaeyeon stored in a lunchbox for her. She didn't want to eat anything in there for now - it'd be two weeks before she'd get home.

"What's this about hunters?" Jiwoo interrupted. She raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

"Daeman knows about it. Daeman, explain," Hyewon said briskly before turning back to Miyun. Daeman nodded and proceeded to start with the previous Sakura-and-Miyun problem.

"Ah. What do they hunt you for anyway? It's not like you kill and steal on a daily basis," Jiwoo said after five minutes of messy, but understandable explaining.

Sakura shrugged as if her shoulders were on springs. A gloomy air crossed over the five students and they stayed quiet for a while.

Someone knocked on the door. They turned their heads.

Daeman walked over and swung it open.

Professor Kim stood in the doorway. "How is Sakura? Is she fine?"

"I'm okay!" Sakura called out.

"Good, just checking. Tomorrow there will be a tour around one of Jeju's villages, so wake up early and be down by seven o'clock sharp. Hyewon, take care of your team," he said. "I have to go inform the green team now. Rest well."

"Wait! Sakura can't stay alone," Hyewon yelled, just as the professor was turning away.

"Why?"

"She... she has anxiety and she needs someone to be with her," Hyewon said quickly.

"Oh. Then you guys come to an agreement who will stay with her," Professor Kim sighed. Hyewon exhaled in relief, but halfway through he added, "However, you have to be with the team as their leader."

Hyewon deflated and hunched over, but nodded anyway. Daeman closed the door.

"I'll stay with her if it's okay," Jiwoo offered.

"...fine," Hyewon huffed. Bitterness lined her tone, but it was subtle. Sakura reached a hand behind the younger girl's back and rubbed calming circles into it.

"It's getting late," Miyun said, shutting off her phone. "Get some sleep. Jiwoo and I will sleep on the top bunk."

"Thanks," Sakura said gratefully. She limped to the bed and flopped sideways into it, careful not to hit her head on the upper layer and its metal bar. Hyewon climbed in beside her.

Jiwoo scampered up the ladder playfully, avoiding Miyun's swatting hand.

"Hm... goodnight," Daeman murmured, tucking himself in the single person bed.

"Chae-" Sakura stopped.

"Huh?"

"Nothing. Goodnight," she said.

Beside Hyewon, Sakura reached for her phone. She nudged her shoulder gently. "Hyewon-ah. I'm going to talk to them. Do you want to join?"

"Hm, okay."

She typed in her password, then tapped on their group chat icon.

...

Kkurachan: hi is anyone awake

Duckieyena: hi

Yuri: omg kkura

Yuri: hows wherever you are

Kwangbae: we're in jeju right now but next week we'll shift to nami

Wonyoung: cool!!

Kkurachan: wheres jjaeyon

ChaeYEON: ive been summoned

ChaeWON: HAHAHAHA

Minguri: HAHAHAHA

Kwangbae: eunbi ya

Eunbi: i missed you ♡

Kwangbae: ♡

Nakochan: lmao

Hitomichan: hi sakura

Kkurachan: heytomi

Kkurachan: get it heytomi

Kwangbae: sakura got injured but a doctor came and shes ok now

Kkurachan: I TOLD YOU NOT TO MENTION THAT

Nakochan: uh oh

Yudaeng: uh oh

ChaeYEON: WHO INJURED YOU

Kkurachan: baby i cut myself on a rock its ok

Wonyoung: thats so obviously not why you got hurt

Kwangbae: you got shot by an arrow idiot its so damn obvious EVEN THE MAKNAE KNOWS

Kwangbae: WHO DO YOU THINK YOURE FOOLING WHAT KIND OF ROCK LEAVES A BLEEDING L I N E ACROSS YOUR THIGH AND ANKLE

Kwangbae: WHAT KIND OF A QUACK DOCTOR WAS THAT, YOUR BLOOD IS BLACK AND HE WASNT SUSPICIOUS OF ANYTHING???

Kkurachan: did u forget i did the eye flashy thing

Kwangbae: o right

ChaeYEON: OH MY GODISJWIAJA

Eunbi: children come to me i will keep you safe

Yudaeng: yes mom

Minguri: chaeyeons exploding with rage

...

Sakura announced she was going to sleep and turned off her phone. She chuckled as she smashed her face into the pillow, feeling a warm cheerful feeling bubble in her chest.

"I miss Chaeyeon," she whispered to Hyewon.

"I miss Eunbi too, it's okay. It's not like we don't have communication with them," Hyewon said comfortingly.

"Yea, but communication doesn't add up to physical affection."

"Whatever." Hyewon pushed Sakura's face away playfully. "Get some sleep. Jiwoo will be with you tomorrow, so don't worry."

"What if she's the hunter?" Sakura whimpered.

Hyewon paused. Then she smirked. "If she hurts you, call me. I'll throw her into a meat grinder and run her over three times," she deadpanned.

"Gosh. Please just keep your innocent look," Sakura said, making a face.

"Will you two go to sleep," Daeman murmured, a little irritated.

The two exchanged looks and grinned.

They fell into a shallow sleep a few minutes later, with Hyewon rubbing comforting circles into Sakura's back.