13

Here's a chapter from Alison. Don't be confused!

~~~~~~~~

[A]

''Do you accept our proposal to extend the contract for another year?'' The woman in her early 40's asked from the other side of her enormous black painted desk. This woman isn't just any woman, she's the principal at Jefferson's boarding school for girls, where I work.

I nodded with pleasure and leaned across the desk to sign the paper. I've been working here for a year already, and according to what my colleagues have told me, they must call us for a meeting once every year to renew the contract.

''Do you like it here in general, Alison?'' Mrs. Murphy politely asked once the paper was signed and she held it tightly between her fingers.

''Yes, I do. It gives me so much to work with something I feel so passionated about.'' I had to lie. Otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here for much longer. The truth about how I feel is something completely different. ''And it means a lot that you feel enough reliability for me to let me continue my work here.''

''I have heard nothing but good reviews about you, Alison. I talked to some of the students and they didn't have anything bad to say about you at all.'' Mrs. Murphy pointed out as she stapled together the paper with a bunch of other papers in a folder. ''Seems like you know how to do your job, congratulations.''

Congratulations? Apparently that's all I get for being a good employee. Well, I guess it could be worse. I could be one of those who are looking for a job in years and nothing ever happens. That'd be a nightmare in my case.

''You may leave, Alison. Tell Anna to come in next.'' Mrs. Murphy demanded and then just waved me off like I were some sort of fly that kept appearing in her eyesight.

I stood up and walked across the room to leave. Just as I pressed down the handle, Mrs. Murphy spoke up. ''Don't forget that it's your turn to stay this weekend. Apparently there's some students that will be staying.''

I didn't reply. Instead I sighed quietly to myself and walked out. This isn't the first time some student mess up my plans. I were planning on going home for the first time in what feels like forever and now I can't. My mother won't be happy when I call her to reschedule again.

You might be wondering who I am. My name is Alison Dilaurentis, I'm turning 21 this year and are originally from New York. How I ended up here is a very long story, so I'll save it for later.

But what I can tell you is that my family are still living in New York, so I don't see them very often. But I call my parents at least twice every week for an update.

My older twin brothers on the other hand, I haven't talked to any of them since Christmas last year. They have their own lives, so I get why they don't always have time for me. But every now and then I receive a call from Micah, the oldest one, when he's not at the hospital doing check-ups. What happened to him is a story for another time.

My family is like many other families. One dad, one mom, two sons and one daughter. Not much out of the ordinary. My dad is the best, always helping me if I need him to and he always listen to me. Same with my mom, she's also a lifesaver. Micah is my oldest brother, but only by two minutes before Jason peeked into this world, according to what my mother has told me.

How I ended up here isn't such a bright and joyful story. I was a total mess in high school and didn't bother to fix my grades enough to get access to any university in New York. I'm still applying every year, and this year I have applied to universities in Philadelphia as well to maximize my chances. Until then I'll be stuck here, at Jefferson's. But my dream is to work with fashion. One day I'm sure it'll be my reality. Hopefully..

To be honest I hate this place with all my heart. But I need money, and they give me a small apartment and free food for as long as I work here. I needed to get away from New York for awhile so this was my way of escaping. And like I said, I don't like it here. But something might have changed my perspective a little lately.

A little more than two weeks ago I had a very awkward first meeting with a new student in the locker room. And who could've known that she'd melt down my walls enough to get in between my legs. I had no idea.

She's different. And no matter how hard I try, I still find myself interested in knowing more about this girl. I'm also extremely attracted to her, mostly because of her attitude. During this year of working here at this school I haven't been talking to anyone that's even ten percent of what she is.

But after our moment in my apartment and then in the toilet, something happened. We stopped searching for ways to interact with each other, and earlier today I saw her with another girl. Someone in her own age, of course. It made me think.

Emily and I are wrong. I'm aware of that. But we both knew about the possible consequences and risks that came along by getting involved with each other. And yet none of us cared. But seeing her with that other girl, who seems to be very into Emily, makes me wonder if I should just drop all this and move on like I did before she came into my life. She's after all very much younger than I am, and technically it's illegal for us to be intimate with each other.

Yeah, I should drop it.

''Anna! Your turn!'' I called out.

~~~~~~~

(unedited)