Chapter Ten: Blind Rage

Dante jerks away from me after the kiss on the cheek. Her eyes are wide with horror and shock.

    “What?” I ask her in confusion.

    Oh hell...what the hell is wrong with me?

    I just...kissed her on her cheek.

    Quickly, I lean away from Dante then start the car. I'm not sure what I'm feeling...but I'm a bit surprised at myself for doing something like that...sometimes just talking to a girl is hard. But kissing a girl's cheek?

    That's a whole new level of retarded bravery.

    “I'm sorry,” I say quickly.

    “Uh...” Dante trails off. “You don't want to do that again, Rem.”

    My eyes widen in surprise. “And why?”

    Dante sighs as she shakes her head. “You can't...please. Don't do it again. I'm not...just please. Don't do it again,” she pleads quietly.

    My brow arches in confusion, but I don't want to stop. I mean, I like her. Why would I want to stop liking someone when I really do like them? If I like someone...I would want to kiss them and be with them.

    Jeez, I sound like a stupid girl.

    A stupid twelve-year-old girl.

    “I can't promise that I won't do it again...I'm sorry for...doing it so suddenly. I'm so sorry,” I say quietly as I start driving.

    “I...” she trails off. From the corner of my eye, I see her place her hand over her left cheek that I kissed.

    I'm no expert...but to me, it looks like she's almost cherishing the kiss or something like that rather than wishing it never happened.

    It just just a simple kiss on the cheek. Sure, I didn't expect it either, but...I didn't mean no harm from it obviously.

    “What do you mean by 'you don't want to do that again'? I don't understand that part,” I tell her with a frown.

    “Rem, we just met, like, a couple of days ago. Yeah, it's normal, I suppose...to like someone. But I'm twenty-one, man. You'll be...what? Just seventeen by the end of this week? Jeez, Rem. You're just a kid compared to me.”

    “I'll be seventeen this Friday...and I don't care. I'm not trying to sound like a cliché teenager...I don't mean to sound like one, but seriously, Dante, you know I like you so what's the point?”

    “How about...let's make a deal. Let's try to act like normal friends. If that's too much...I'll move out of your house and depend on my own to find a place.”

    “Dante, will you please shut the hell up?” I say with a frown.

    “Excuse me?” Dante looks at me. “You don't tell me to shut up.”

    “If you're saying stupid-ass stuff then yeah, I can. You can stay at my place as long as you need to. Act like normal friends? Hell, I get on your nerves with flirting, and I enjoy it. I mean, come on, Dante. Have more life. I have anger issues, but at least I know how to have some fun. Garry's right. You're uptight as hell. Maybe I should invite Joziah, Scruggs, Dax and Nial over...for a party...or we'll go somewhere else. I'm not sure. But you're gonna deal with it whether you like it or not.”

    “Well...you didn't have to be an ass about it...” Dante mumbles.

    I smile as I shake my head. “Yes, I did. Yes, I did.”