Dreaming

(Picture above is by iraeim on DeviantArt - I love it!)

Soon the Sides arrived at this policeman's parents' house. It was a small detached house on the outskirts of Thomasville, a pool in the back and flowers on the front lawn. Patton knocked on the door like a child trick-or-treating. The rest of the Sides stayed back, knowing they may not get a response this late at night.

Nevertheless, the door opened. Two pensioners lived in the house, not old enough to have a stay at home carer but not young enough for any of their children to still live with them - if they had any more children alive. "Thank you for letting us stay Mr and Mrs Buio!" Patton said as the Sides shuffled in. The husband opened the door for them while the wife cleaned up the dishes.

"You boys must be absolutely exhausted!" The husband said as Patton, Logan and Roman removed their hoodies and hung them up by the door. "And please, call us Pace..." The husband pointed at himself, "and Verita." The wife, Verita, smiled in the Sides' direction. "Go up to bed now, the bedroom's on the right." Pace patted each of the Sides on the back as they went up the stairs, smiling wider when Roman went past. Virgil was the last to go up, just as Verita finished the dishes. She removed her dish gloves as she approached.

"Sleep well won't you?" Verita smiled cheerfully before Pace gave Virgil the pat on the back. "Breakfast will be in the morning."

Virgil was dreaming - well, dreaming would imply it was good - like Patton's dreams. Virgil's dreams were always bad - he didn't have to dream when he was in the mind - so he avoided it like the Black Plague. In reality, he had to go through the torture of sleeping, and therefore the torture of dreaming.

"Pass the knife Virgil." A familiar voice beckoned. Virgil looked down to his palms, they held a bloody kitchen knife. "We'll finish 'em off." Virgil had no choice in passing the knife, it was snatched from his hands by yellow gloves before he had any chance to argue.

This was similar to dreams Virgil had in the mind, in ways. They would always surround his past, when he was a Dark Side. Maybe it was like a PTSD, it would repeat the conversations he'd had, the feelings he had for those he surrounded himself with. The things he regrets.

The blood dripped on his hands, although he didn't dream this knife-crime he commit. Instinctively he rubbed his hands together in a rhythmic pattern, only concentrating on that. It was the only thing he could control. He heard talk, indistinct chatter you might hear in a queue for something: weather, feelings, likes, dislikes. He knew Remus and Deceit were in front of him, doing the dirty work that he excluded himself from.

"They're dead." Another voice said. A different voice, not in his previous dreams. It was clear, pronounced, different. He had to look up.

A red sash covered a white and gold suit. A smile was on his - no, its - face. This didn't deserve humanisation, what he saw in front of him. Darkness lay under its eyes, black, and it held the bloody knife. It was approached by Remus with a pat on the back and a hug from Deceit, just like how Virgil was treated when he was with them. In front of them the two still bodies of Logan and Patton.

It was Roman. His friend Roman. As a Dark Side.

A/N - You got a sneak peek into Virgil's dreams! I tried not to make it trigger warning worthy, but tell me if it is so I can put a warning. Thanks to iraeim for the artwork!
Ciao! (This is important, think about it)