55.

There was a knock on the door. I laughed to myself. She'd only been gone ten minutes, but she must've forgotten something. I wished she didn't have to leave. I wished we didn't have to go back to pretending we weren't a thing at work. The last week together had been perfection. And we only had another week left before Dick was back. Maybe then she would allow us to be more than just sex?

But then wouldn't I just be back in the same relationship I'd had with Emma? Each of us opposite sides of the world, passing ships in the night and unable to trust that the other could stay faithful. How could this possibly work?

'What have you forgot-' I began as I swung open the door. But the words stuck in my throat. Because stood in the doorway wasn't Lily.

'Hi Dan.' Emma said softly, looking down at her feet. I was glad she didn't meet my eyes. I don't think I could've handled looking into them. The last time I'd seen her had been three weeks ago when I said goodbye as she slept. The last time I'd spoken to her had been when she confessed she'd cheated on me.

'Emma? What are you doing here?' I stood in the door, not allowing her to enter. Because if she did, she would know someone else had been here, in my bed, tainting the sheets she'd bought. Drinking from her mug.

'I just, I wanted to speak to you...I...' She finally looked up and her cheeks were wet with tears and her eyes bloodshot. My heart felt like it might burst. Because I had loved Emma for three years. As much as I'd tried to ignore that fact while I'd been with Lily, now she was stood here, upset, all I wanted to do was comfort her.

'Are you ok?' I put a hand on her shoulder and she began to cry louder.

'I'm pregnant.' She burst.

And my world imploded