Badass & Rockstar Neighbour

Meanwhile...

Riley POV

Having done all I could for the day and having nobody that I can help, Rachel allows me to go home. I could have stayed at the office but even she had supplier meetings this afternoon. I should have known from Grantley's perverted ways, that today wasn't going to get any better, as I arrived home and climbed one flight of stairs to find my apartment door wide open.

Shouts were coming from inside and with Mavis' door open, I threw caution to the wind and ran up the last flight, concerned that my elderly neighbour had taken on the intruders which had broken in. 

What I didn't expect to find was Joel cowering in the corner as Mavis swats at him with her broom. 

"What the-"

"Riley!" Joel exclaimed with relief. "You're home!"

"I am.." I state looking towards Mavis who gives up her fight and leans on the broom out of breath and slightly off colour.

"Mavis?" I question reaching out and placing my hand on her small shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"Her?! She has been beating me!" Joel cries as he gets up from his hiding spot. 

Seeing a battle-ax like Mavis change colour and not in a good way, I go into panic mode and grab the nearest seat I could before getting her to sit down. I know she isn't feeling a hundred percent when she allows me to fuss.

"Talk to me. Is everything okay?!" I ask her checking her pulse. I'm not sure how knowing her pulse would help but I've seen it in films and I'm only guessing that is what I need to do right now.

"Oh Riley, darling." She says quietly. 

"I'm here. Just take it easy and when you are ready, tell me what happened."

It takes her a few breaths before she looks at Joel. "He was letting himself in and I wasn't having it."

My heart instantly warms to the old woman, who knew exactly who she was beating with a broom, all for me.

"You knew it was me and you carried on hitting me?!" Joel asked in disbelief.

"Oh you deserved it. You hurt Riley in the most disgusting way. You should be ashamed of yourself!" She snaps.

"Me? You crazy old wi-"

"Stop!" I shout, interrupting him and grabbing the broom as Mavis goes to lift it and swipe at him. "That is enough, the pair of you. Joel shut up. Mavis just breathe, you've gone a funny colour of grey and I don't like it."

She nods her head before closing her eyes briefly. 

"Let me get you a drink." I whisper.

"No! I'll get it. I'm not being left in here with her." Joel says leaving the lounge and shooting off into the kitchen. Less than a minute later, he is back holding a glass. 

"I don't want it. I bet he poisoned it." Mavis says shooting narrowed eyes at Joel.

"I wish you old bat. If Riley wasn't so fond of you, I'd pay to put you in a home."

"Joel!" I snap at him in disgust.

He looks at me "What?! You weren't the one being beaten with a broom all for nothing!"

"I wouldn't call cheating on Riley, nothing." Mavis says.

"Neither would I. Thank you, Mavis." I answer taking the glass from him and taking a mouthful. "It's fine. Now have some."