Old and New.

Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.

My hand shoots out and stops his head from colliding with the headrest for the fortieth time. "Stop it. You'll get a headache or a concussion and forget to apologise to me for being a massive jerk wad these past few days."

He rubs his head against the palm of my hand, like a dog would, wanting a little more attention. His black hair is surprisingly soft despite all the hair products he must use to keep it in it's style. I'd like to feel it fresh, just washed without any products weighing it down. I'd like to feel if it's fluffy or just ridiculously soft.

I look away from his hair to see his eyes observing me quietly, there is no doubt that he has seen me lost in my own head about his damn hair, but he doesn't say a thing. Giving him a small smile, I pull my hand away and order myself mentally to keep my hands on my lap.

But the second I have myself in my seat, I'm struck with the solid truth that Rachel has set out to cause trouble, not the small kind. Oh no, she has gone big guns and made false allegations on my behalf. The type that could have landed me in a court room, a jail cell even, for slander, defamation of character and God only knows what else. Her lies could have ruined his career and for what? What is her gain from all this?

Zak gives a heavy sigh "Riley, I am-"

"Don't say sorry." I interrupt. "You have no need to apologise to me. You were reacting to something awful. It is understandable." 

"But you didn't-"

"I know." I say looking over at him and giving a small smile. "You were protecting yourself, I get it."

He shakes his head in disbelief and looks away "You're making me feel even worse by not letting me apologise."

"Because you don't need to. I don't need to hear it from you. Not for that. Maybe for throwing me out your house though?" I point out before pulling the mints from my pocket and fiddling with the packet.

"I am so sorry for manhandling you like that. I didn't... I didn't hurt you, did I?" He asks looking over at me again. 

"So I might have cried a little over your massive U-turn in attitude, but I'm a big girl."

"I'm sorry." He says again, this time I feel the weight of his words and something shifts within my soul at his sincerity. 

I lift the packet up. "Mint?"

"No sweetie. I don't want one." 

I nod, shoving one in my mouth to keep my brain occupied and not on what just happened.
We fall into a silence, but this time it's not uncomfortable or awkward, this time it's... different. Whilst Zak contemplates whatever is going on in his head, I turn my attention to people watching. 

There are workers, still in their uniforms, having just finished work or maybe on their breaks, heading into the grocery store to buy some dinner. There are parents with kids in trolleys, elderly couples walking with frames, kids loitering outside looking to cause trouble and last minute panickers, they are my favourite. Always flustered and checking their phones for recipes to make something for dinner. Whilst they flap, I normally just grab a meal for one and a bottle of wine. It might not be healthy but then stress isn't good for the body either and we all know I've had plenty of that.

"Who in their right mind gives you a Ouija board?" He asks suddenly bringing me back to him.

I look over at him. "What do you mean? I'm a perfectly normal person."

"No, that's not what I meant. I mean it in the context of... You know how dangerous these things are right?" He asks. 

I shrug "Pot luck?"