Part 10

It was evening again by the time Zak regained consciousness. He tried to move, but he was held down by a heavy weight. He smiled his cracked, dry lips, wincing a little, and croaked, "Darryl... get... off," but his throat was like sandpaper, and he barely made a sound. He tried to move his arms, but he let them drop again as a sharp pain ran up them. "Ah!" He cried softly, his eyes widening.

"Z-zak? Are you awake?" Whispered a familiar voice.

"Ughhhhh..." He moaned, "why can't I move?"

There was sudden movement, then the heavy weight was lifted from him. "Because you had about a hundred blankets on top of you," Darryl mumbled. He was staring intently at the wall, not wanting to see Zak like this, especially now all of his bruises had developed, showing exactly how much he was hurt.

Zak slowly, carefully turned his head to find Darryl. He spotted him on the other side of the bed, but he was looking away from him. "Darryl... everything hurts..." He gazed at his back pleadingly, "why won't you look at me? Are you mad at me?"

Darryl didn't respond, as his throat had closed up. He just vaguely gestured at Zak's body, trying to hold back tears.

Zak looked down, confused - then stopped dead. His skin was a mosaic of black, blue and purple, not a single piece untouched. He was covered in bandages, some with dried blood that had obviously seeped through before. He couldn't even recognise himself.

"Darryl... what the fuck happened?" He muttered, staring down at himself in panic. He tried to sit up, yelping in pain and falling back on his pillows. Turning his head, he waited for him to answer the question.

Darryl swallowed hard. "You don't... remember?" He met Zak's eyes, tears trailing down his face.

"Remember WHAT? Tell me what happened right now," Zak demanded.

"Zak..." Darryl mumbled, "what's the last thing you remember doing?"

"Umm... you were streaming. You were a numpty muffin and told everyone I was living with you," Zak smiled, reaching for Darryl's hand, "then I came in, you were mad and I..." His hand stopped searching for Darryl's and lay on the sheets, limp. "I kissed you on stream?!" He whispered urgently, then gasped. "Is that why you're mad at me? Did you..." His eyes welled up, "did you do this to me?"

"WHA- NO!!"

"Why?" Zak's eyes were like saucers. "Why, Darryl?" He sobbed.

"No, that wasn't me," Darryl pleaded, automatically holding Zak in his arms comfortingly, "you're confused, I could never do that-" his voice broke and he took a few breaths, "I love you..."

Zak tried to push Darryl off, but stopped, whimpering in pain. He curled into a foetal position facing away from him and replied, "Please... leave me alone - don't hurt me."

Darryl froze, feeling as if he had been stabbed through the heart. Those three words, don't hurt me, would haunt him for as long as he lived. But he couldn't leave, not with Zak in such a frail state. He got up to go to the kitchen, made a tray of cold food, then covered it in cling film, as he knew Zak wouldn't cave for a while.

As he went back into their bedroom, Zak tensed and curled up even smaller. Darryl tried to ignore the twinge in his heart, setting down the tray of food on the bedside table next to him. Then he climbed onto the other side of the bed, deciding to stay until Zak talked to him.

"Zak," he murmured softly, "I didn't do this."

There was no response, and he sat there for five minutes, staring into space. Zak shifted slightly, glancing behind him to check if Darryl was still there.

"I'm not leaving you until you're better, and then I won't leave you until you let me tell you what really happened," Darryl said, meeting his gaze determinedly. Zak just turned away again, unsure what to do; he had seen the pain, raw and unconcealed, in his eyes. Maybe, just maybe... he was telling the truth?

Zak's stomach growled noisily and he sighed, reaching for the food tray. He pulled off some crisps and tried to pull himself up, struggling. He couldn't eat lying down or he would choke.

Suddenly, he felt himself being gently lifted up. He turned to see Darryl holding him in one arm and propping up the pillows with the other. Their eyes met and Darryl smiled weakly. "Tell me if it hurts," he said, lifting him backwards against the pillows, so that he was sitting up. Zak just nodded, not sure what to do.

To break the silence afterwards, he opened up the crisp packet and started chomping noisily. Half way through, he remembered that Darryl was probably just as hungry as him, as he hadn't had anything off of the tray for himself. Sheepishly, he offered the rest of the packet to him, but he just shook his head.

"If you need anything, let me know. I won't leave your side," Darryl said firmly.

Zak finished his crisps and turned to pick up a sandwich, but stopped halfway. He closed his eyes and moaned softly from the pain, trying to focus on breathing. Something gently grabbed hold of his hand and his eyes snapped open. He looked down to see Darryl's hand in his, rubbing comforting circles with his thumb. "What are you doing," he hissed, pulling away.

Darryl couldn't stop the hurt flashing across his face, but he tried to brush off the rejection he felt nevertheless. Standing up, he walked around the bed and got the tray of food, putting it on Zak's lap for him. When he returned to his side of the bed, Darryl waited for him to finish eating. When he was done, he placed the tray on the floor and retook Zak's hand.

This time, Zak didn't protest.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Nadia here! ❤️

First of all, thank you for reading Part 10 of Bashful - Skeppy x BadBoyHalo!

Second of all, if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism, comment down below.

See you in the next part 😊

Instagram: mind_of_nadia
Come for a chat in my DMs :)

---------------------------------------------------------

I promise it will get happier soon!!

Thank you everyone so much for 222 reads and 54 votes ❤️❤️❤️ I literally had to change this screenie 3 times while I was writing!

Ranked 232 on #gayaf    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)