Part 40

Darryl woke up first the next morning. Turning his head slightly, he rested it against Zak's temple.

Yawning and stretching, Zak smiled and playfully bit Darryl's ear. He shifted so he was sat on his lap, picking up his hand and fiddling with the ring on it. "Good morning..."

"Good morning, muffin." Sitting up, Darryl wrapped his other arm around Zak's waist and kissed the tip of his nose.

"You know what this means, right?" Zak held their hands together sleepily, watching the rings catching the light.

"What?"

Zak giggled slightly, leaning closer. "You belong to me now." Darryl sighed and he frowned.

"I was yours before, you muffin," Darryl smiled. "This," he wiggled his fingers, "doesn't change anything." He tugged on Zak's chin, pulling their lips together as he put his hand on his cheek.

Leaning forwards, Zak pressed their bodies tight together and started to kiss Darryl's jaw and neck, pulling off his shirt. His stomach rumbled and he looked away, blushing.

Darryl laughed, pushing him gently off of his lap and standing up. "Maybe I should feed you first."

"No!" Zak groaned, pulling him back onto the bed. He locked his legs around his waist, searching eagerly for his lips.

Suddenly, Darryl lurched up and staggered backwards, gaining his balance. "Food now," he growled, kissing the top of Zak's head as he set him down on the landing. Closing their door and keeping hold of his hand, he headed downstairs.

Dave and Vincent were in the kitchen, chatting as they poured themselves bowls of cereal. "Coco Pops or lucky charms?" Dave called, seeing the others coming down.

"Coco Pops, obviously," Zak grinned, flopping down onto a chair. Darryl brought over two extra bowls and the milk, and they tucked in.

The four of them sat in comfortable silence, crunching on their cereal and getting lost in their own thoughts. Vincent saw a blue glint out of the corner of his eyes and looked in the direction it had come from, curious. He caught sight of Zak's hand, nearly choking as he spluttered in disbelief. "When did that happen?!" He demanded, staring at the ring on his finger. He grabbed his hand, pulling it closer for a better look - and knocking Zak's spoon onto the floor in the process.

Turning red, Zak hid his face in Darryl's shoulder. "Last night," he mumbled, embarrassed.

"Tell me everything!" Vincent leaned forwards on his elbows, his face lighting up. "Darryl proposed to you, right? Where? Do you like the ring? When are you getting one for Darryl as well?"

Dave suddenly became interested in the wall opposite him. It worried him how excited Vincent was at the prospect of engagement...

Deciding to give a slightly edited version, Zak squeezed Darryl's hand under the table. "In a meadow on top of a mount, where we went on our first date. Darryl proposed to me, and I said yes, obviously. But I'd gotten a ring as well beforehand, because I was going to ask him myself." He turned to smile at Darryl, eyes warm. "So I guess we both had the same idea."

Darryl put his hand next to Zak's, their matching rings glistening, and Vincent gasped. "Wow..." he breathed, admiring them. He looked up, eyes sparkling. "Can I be the best man?"

Zak tensed, frowning. "Of course you can. I hadn't really thought about guests and stuff, to be honest..."

"You want to go upstairs to talk through things?" Darryl suggested gently, seeing his hesitation. Zak nodded, so they headed back to their room, waving goodbye to the others. Once the door was closed behind them, he turned to face him, concerned. "Are you okay?"