Part 28

Zak watched the sun slowly climbing up the sky as he lay curled up on the couch, feeling empty. He couldn't stop thinking about Darryl, no matter how hard he tried, and it was killing him. He didn't even know who was mad at who anymore, or if Darryl would have calmed down by now.

The bedroom door creaked open behind him, and he turned to see Vincent and Dave peeking around it shyly. "I'm awake, if that's why you're hesitating," he mumbled, sitting up. "Or are you feeling a bit sheepish after your fun last night?" He narrowed his eyes at Vincent, who covered his face and shrunk away.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Dave hazarded, trying not to give himself away.

"Mhm, sure... I thought you would remember ping spoofing Vincent a bit better than that," Zak deadpanned, getting up and stretching. The others spluttered, looking like they were about to implode. Gleefully, he walked over to the door and let himself out, giggling at Dave's thunderous expression.

The smile soon slipped from his face, though. Approaching his room door, he knocked timidly. Nobody answered, so he thumped it harder, hearing movement inside. The door swung open and Darryl warily motioned him in, typing on his phone.

Zak immediately headed to the bathroom, taking a shower as quickly as he could. When he got out, he realised his mistake. He had been so focused on locking himself away from Darryl, he hadn't picked up a towel or clothes. After an agonising minute sat on the edge of the bath, he decided to just walk out.

Steeling himself and trying to act like it was nothing, he opened the bathroom door and walked shakily to get his towel - past Darryl. He heard a quiet squeak of surprise behind him, smiling as he wrapped the towel around his waist. "Forgot my towel," he shrugged nonchalantly.

Darryl just nodded weakly, turning beetroot red. He waited for Zak to get dressed, looking away. Without thinking, he sighed slightly, and Zak whipped round.

"Do you have a problem?" He quipped coldly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"N-no..." Darryl sat on the sofa, feeling as if he'd been slapped. Zak had never spoken to him like that before.

Rolling his eyes, Zak started to walk out of the door, but he was stopped by a hand on his arm. Turning to face Darryl, he snapped, "What do you want?"

Darryl balked, but answered, wincing at Zak's cold glare. "Look, I... I'm - I'm..." He trailed off, eyes glistening with tears. "I'm so sorry, Zak," he rushed, not letting go of his arm. "I was going to say last night, but Vincent... got there first. I jumped to conclusions, and I know you wouldn't cheat on me. I'm really sorry." He waited for Zak's reply, holding his breath.

Zak looked down, not meeting Darryl's eyes. "Look, I don't think you realise how much this hurts me. You obviously don't trust me, and it's breaking my heart," his voice cracked and he pulled away, closing his eyes. Pain radiated from his chest, making his body ache everywhere.

Darryl's throat closed up, and he wrapped his arms around Zak, shaking. Seeing Zak hurting was worse than any pain he could ever endure, and knowing he had caused it was unbearable. "Please don't," he whispered hoarsely.

Zak lay his head on Darryl's shoulder, tears trailing down his face. He couldn't speak, so he just hugged him close.

Darryl's eyes overflowed as he put his head on Zak's. "I love you so much. I can't bear seeing you hurting, and I hate myself for causing it. You're my whole world, and I can't even think straight when I'm with you. I get jealous, mad, insecure, protective, and I can't help it. I care about you more than anything, and that goes hand in hand with all of those things. But I also feel happy, loved and as if my world is complete. I can't give you the good without the bad, and vice versa. I love you more than you will ever know, and love isn't perfect. I made a mistake," he lifted Zak's chin gently, "and I won't ask you to forgive me, but I need you to know I'm sorry."