Part 11

Darryl cared diligently for Zak for hours, getting him hot water bottles, drinks, more food... anything he wanted, really.

The sun had set and it was starting to get dark in the room, so Zak asked him to turn on the light, not feeling tired. As he got up to do so, Zak mumbled, "And I want you to tell me what happened to me."

Darryl froze, taken by surprise. "I thought you had made up your mind that I did that?"

"You, Darryl, couldn't hurt a fly..." He smiled at him ruefully, "let alone me."

"Finally, you've come to your senses," he muttered sarcastically, "it's about bloody time!" Despite his indifferent response, Darryl's heart was soaring. Finally, things would go back to normal between them!

He lay back on the bed, hesitating. Then, deciding Zak was getting much stronger anyway, he began to tell him what had happened that night, starting from their kiss on stream. When he told him about his mother, he turned away, sniffling. Darryl scooted over and pulled him into his arms for comfort, carrying on with the events of the evening, all the way to when they got back to the apartment.

"I'm sorry," Zak mumbled, looking into his eyes.

"For what now?" Darryl tried to joke, nervous.

"You said you loved me yesterday, and I just ignored you..." He kissed Darryl lightly on the lips, "I love you too, and I believe you."

"Good to have you back, Zak." Darryl's voice cracked as he held him close. "Now, don't you ever leave me again!" He replied sternly, his eyes twinkling. Zak laughed, snuggling into his chest.

"You want to go to sleep now?"

"Yeah..."

Darryl shrugged him off of his chest and got back out of bed. Zak looked up, hurt. "Calm down, doofus," Darryl murmured as he climbed back in the bed, "I was just turning off the light." His arms wrapped around Zak in the darkness, and they fell asleep together, content.

Zak slowly opened his eyes. Sunlight was streaming through the window and he felt really hot. He went to get up, but he was stuck. Turning round, he jumped. There was someone else in his bed! Shaking them, he demanded, "What are you doing in my room?!"

The person opened their eyes, groaning. "I'm looking after you, now stop shaking me and come back for a cuddle."

"What- why do I need looking after?" He urged, panicking.

Darryl sat up and looked properly at Zak, worried. He felt his forehead for a temperature, but he seemed fine.

Zak did a double take. Seeing this person's face stirred something deep inside of him; he felt as if he knew him from somewhere. "Oh! I know, you look like BadBoyHalo... not what you want to hear," he snickered, "but I'll tell you a secret, carer: I think he's really cute. I've only seen a few pictures of him, and we haven't met in person yet. But maybe when I go to see him, I can tell him he's a cutie - as a troll - to see how he reacts! Do you think he likes me?"

Darryl stared at Zak, who was waiting expectantly for an answer, his mouth hanging open. Scared for Zak's health, Darryl quickly planted a smile on his face and said, "That's wonderful, Zak, I'm sure he likes you!" The false cheer in his voice was mediocre at best. "Don't forget, you're going see the doctor today! Let's get you dressed, then we can set off."

"Carer... why are you looking after me? Am I sick...?" Zak asked solemnly. "Do you have a name, carer?"

Darryl cleared his throat, trying not to get upset. "My name's Darryl, Zak," he said, suddenly interested in his feet, "and I'm sure the doctor can explain to you what's-" his voice cracked, "wrong with you."