24

The time had come. I was back to the Ruby-pack. As per tradition, I had to perform the midnight run with the pack wolves. My friendship with the Beta left Jake and his mates away from me. I was extremely pleased.

I heard a knock on my cabin's door. I opened the door and saw Rachel wearing a long blue dress and a black jacket. Her belly was already a full round shape. I smiled.

'Sophie, how are you getting on? Are you ready for tonight?'.

'Working on it now, Rach. Just heading to the shower, then I will be down to join for dinner and drinks.'

'Good! Uhm, actually, I also came becasue I wanted to give you this now. It is my gift to you.' Rachel handed me a small red box with a golden knot on the top.

'You can open it now if you wish.'

It was a golden chain with embedded the name Sophie. Before I could thank her she quickly added. 'It belonged to your grandmother. Her name was Sophie, like you. Your parents wanted to give you her necklace on your 18th birthday. So, here you have it, on your special day.'

I was in shock. I had tears streaming freely on my cheeks, this time they weren't sad tears. They felt warm, liberating.

Rachel approached me and engulfed me into a tight hug. Silently, she put on me the golden neckless. It felt as if my blood family was here, celebrating with me.

..........

At the party, I was sitting as usual next to Rachel and her friends. They wanted to know all about med school. This evening, on my 18 birthday, I had everybody's attention, from time to time, turned fully to me. It made me uncomfortable, but for a day, I though I could cope. We had cheers, evening meal and cake.

Skye was sitting next to her friends including Andrew. I missed her company. I wish she was sitting next to me.

The time for the night run arrived. I shifted into my wolf and filled my lungs with the fresh forest midnight air. I must admit I missed running in the wild. It felt liberating.

The pack wolves had already shifted as well. The alpha started to run and I followed. We were all running next to each other following our leader.

Suddenly an inhibriating smell of ocean-pine filled my nostrils. That's when it hit me. I found my mate. I turned my head to look at where the wonderful scent was coming from. My eyes widened as they looked into forest-green pools. It was Skye. Inside of me, my wolf screamed Mine.