. F O U R .

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song--------------}

"Dear Brother" By Puscifer

. F O U R .

Abel ranks a hand through his dark hair completely frustrated. He doesn’t understand why she didn’t show up. Maybe he was too forward, he thinks glumly. Shaking his head he replays the scene of asking her to coffee the day before again and can’t see any reason to worry when he conjures her looking at him. She looked like she may like him a little bit. Though he can’t think why should she would with him acting like a cave man with all the grunting and shoving things at her.

He’s always been painfully shy and with Iris it seems even worse. Ever since he caught sight of her in their British Literature class he’s been in like with her. He won’t call it love, he can’t. He doesn’t know her enough to be in love with her but from what he’s observed about her he can see himself heading in that direction. Despite what he feels though he can’t force her to feel the same way and that’s why he’s as frustrated as he is.

He really wants her to feel the same way he does.

“Iris!”

Abel’s head snaps up at the panicked yell and is surprised to see a teary looking Ava running after Iris. Iris, Abel has to admit, looks like shit. She’s pale, gaunt and if he’s not mistaken a little bit pissed off looking. Iris pulls her arm away from Ava’s grip roughly scowling at her friend as he approaches trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

“Ava let go of me.” Iris says coldly, very unlike her.

Ava shakes her head, “No, explain why you’re acting like this.”

“Can’t you just get that I can’t deal with you right now?” She snaps, “I’ve had some really traumatic stuff happen to me, okay? I just need some space. Is that too much to ask for?”

“This isn’t like you!”

Iris snorts and glares at the now crying Ava, “Maybe this is the new me.”

“Hey, is everything okay?” Abel asks as he comes to a stop by the two women.

Iris looks up at him, eyes wide in surprise before they harden, “What do you want?”

“Whoa.” He says holding up his hands in surrender, “I was just wondering what the problem was. I could hear you yelling across campus.”

“Well it’s really none of your business.”

“Iris!” Ava gasps as Abel narrows his eyes at her tone, “Abel just wants to help.”

“I don’t need his help. I don’t need your help either. I’m perfectly fine but you people just won’t let it drop will you?”

Ava sighs and brushes some blond curls from her face, “We’re just worried about you because we care about you, Iris. Can’t you see that?”

“Sure.” Iris drawls with an eye roll, making Abel notice how big her eyes look on her face. “Ava, you’ve always just been looking for someone to boss around and since I’m such a weakling I’ve been the perfect little accessory haven’t I?”

“Iris, I—“

“Save it.” She snaps before turning to Abel, “And you. You just want to get a fuck out of me just like any other guy. Well guess what? I’m not interested!”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Abel snaps with a scowl, “I just want to be friends with you.”

It’s a lie. He knows it’s a lie but she’s so worked up he can’t exactly go spouting out love confessions. She pretty much just called him some heartless man whore but he can’t stop himself from wanting to take care of her. She doesn’t look healthy and his hands are itching to just take her in his arms and force-feed her until she looks like herself again.