. S I X .

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song----------}

"Vermilion" By Slipknot

. S I X .

Iris’s heart is beating so hard and fast she feels as though it’ll pop right out of her chest. She wants to move around just so she can feel something other than this disorienting pain in her body. Something is changing, something fundamental and though rationally she should know that pain will come with it but she never thought it would be like this.

She lets out a piercing scream into the blackened air of her room but it does her no good. Iris feels a sharp pain travel up her spine before something in her body snaps audibly making her back arch in a way that to most would look unnatural. She knows Xavier is in the room with her but she doesn’t know where, too focused on the contortions her body is doing.

“Calm yourself.” He advises in a calm, nearly bored voice, “It’s almost over.”

Her heart is nearly exploding from her chest making a rib crack as it goes out of control making her start to shake from head to toe. Then it stops and she goes limp onto her mattress, her pupils dilate and everything in her body relaxes. Xavier wanders over to her side to peer down at her peaceful expression before moving back a few paces knowing that it’s only temporary.

Iris’s heart suddenly jumps in her chest and as a result she gasps for air violently. Her heart begins to pick up and as she gasps for air, her body trying to feed her newly transformed brain, before she blinks her eyes hard a few times. Xavier leans against a far wall just watching her curiously.

He’s never seen anyone change before and the novelty of it all is something he won’t pass up in a life full of boredom. Iris sits up slowly looking at her hands, watching as her veins visibly pass blood to through her limbs. Its feeding her body what it needs to function at the high level it’ll be at now and with all the new speed, heightened senses and fast healing, it’ll need all the blood it can get.

“What—“

“Your body runs on blood now. Before you barely needed a few mouthfuls to get by for a month but with new abilities comes new needs.” Xavier tells her simply. “You’ll heal faster, move faster and react faster. Don’t feed when your body tells you to and it will take over and make you feed. Your not in control now, your body is its own monster and it will do anything to survive.”

“Sunlight?” She asks still staring at her now perfectly pale hand.

“It’ll burn. Our skin is more sensitive to heat and like any person with a light allergy your blister and burn just like an egg on a hot sidewalk. Too much exposer to it before your body can heal itself and you’ll die. It’s the only other way other than having your head cut off that’ll kill you now.”

“So a stake through the heart…”

Xavier smirks, “It’ll hurt like a son of a bitch but no it won’t kill you though it will paralyze you long enough for someone to take your head off. So I suggest you stay away from anyone role-playing as Van Helsing.”

“Garlic?”

“Seriously?” He asks with a raised eyebrow. Iris shrugs making him shake his head dejectedly. “It’ll make your breath smell something nasty but no, it won’t hurt you. Any other stupid questions?”

“Will I…be able to be around my family and friends again?”

Xavier stays silent making Iris’s stomach drop. She’ll never be able to hug her mom without wanting to bite her? She’ll never be able to smile at Ava again without her fangs popping out? She’ll never be able to kiss Abel without wanting to taste his blood on her tongue? Wait. Kiss? Shaking her head she focuses on the first too fears instead of the rush she feels even considering the last one.