. T H I R T E E N .

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

"Shame" By Stabbing Westward

. T H I R T E E N .

Iris moves the wet towel over Abel’s forehead as he shivers and shakes on the couch. He’s asleep as far as she can tell but his body is wide-awake and Iris has never felt guiltier in her life. If she had been more vigilant or maybe if she had used her strength to just make him leave she never would have bitten him. He would still be in pain but at least it would emotional and not the physical agony he’s in now.

Tears build in her eyes as they trace the contours of his face. His lips are white and chapped as they shake. His skin is paler than its normally healthy tan and under his eyes are dark circles that make him look like the walking dead. He was foolish enough to love her but she was the one foolish to pretend she could love him back and now look at him. Throwing the towel on the coffee table she gets up and runs a hand through her hair trying to get a grip of herself.

She nearly rips a chunk out her head when Xavier slams open the apartment door to give her a deadly glare. His chin and the front of his shirt are stained in blood as he slams the door behind him, his eyes never leaving hers. As he comes towards her Iris takes a quick step back out of instinct. He hasn’t the most rational when it comes to Abel and she expects him to lash out.

“Quit cowering.” He hisses at her. “I’m not going to hurt you no matter how much of an idiot you are.”

“I’m the idiot? You should have told me about the biting thing the first time you took me hunting! This is all on you!”

Xavier smirks coldly at her. “I’m not the one who let him close enough to be a temptation, Iris. What? Did you think that love could conquer it all? Did you think that his love for you would make him forget the monster you are, that we are?”

Iris doesn’t say anything and only shakes her head. Rationally she knew that eventually he would turn away from her or demand to become like her. No one wants to die and if she was going to live forever and his love was really that strong would he ever want to let go? No, she thinks with a sigh, no he would want to stay with her as long as he could.

“No, I knew that.”

“Yet you strung him along like some puppy didn’t you? Well look where he is now? He’s probably half insane and in great physical pain. Was it worth it?”

Shaking her head a tear falls from her eyes, as she whispers, “No.”

“No.” He repeats before narrowing his eyes at her, “Stop crying.”

Wiping her cheek with her hand she sniffles loudly. Wrapping her arms around her waist she keeps her gaze on her bare feet on the carpet. She feels like a child being scolded by a teacher and in reality that’s exactly what this is. Xavier is first and foremost her sire and teacher, no matter what they may have beyond that he will always be that first.

“I’m going to shower and then we’re going to discuss what to do with the boy.” Xavier says simply. “And when we reach a decision it’s done. No going back and no dwelling on the ‘could have been’ scenarios. We move on.”

Iris nods.

Xavier moves forward suddenly and lays his forehead against hers. “I’m doing this because you can’t have this looming over your head. There isn’t just you and I in this world. There are others who won’t take this situation lightly.”