Chapter 15

"I'm back." She replied, looking at Billie. "Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" 

(Y/n) took a deep breath, she wasn't sure what to think, or what to do. She began stuttering as she tried to introduce Billie, after what felt like ten minutes of awkward silence. "This is Billie." She managed eventually, as Billie let go of the suitcase, and shook the hand that her mother had out ready for him to shake. "It's nice to meet you, Billie." Her mother smiled. (Y/n) felt like she was in a dream. Who was this woman that was standing in front of her? What had happened to her, and why was she being nice now? It was unsettling how genuine her mother's niceness was. "We've never properly met; I've seen you when (Y/n) went out with you before I-" She paused. "Before I left." She managed finally. "Billie remained silent for a while, as did (Y/n) before he mother spoke again. "You seem very happy." She stated to (Y/n).

"I am." (Y/n) replied, holding onto Billie. She looked down awkwardly before asking the question that she desperately wanted to know the answer to. "Where have you been?" 

"Rehab." She stated bluntly. "As I told you in that letter, I had to get my shit together. I wasn't the mother that you deserved." (Y/n) nodded gently. "I was staying with a friend who helped me along. I've got my own place, just a few blocks away." 

"That's great to hear." (Y/n) smiled; it felt like old times. Billie coughed. 

"I'm going to take the stuff inside, and leave you two to talk." He looked at (Y/n)'s mother. "It was nice to meet you." She smiled, and repeated his sentence, before looking at (Y/n). 

"Why are you here?" (Y/n) asked. Her sentence had come out a lot more vicious than she had intended.

"Honestly?" Her mother replied. "I'm not quite sure. I just needed you to know how sorry I am; for everything. The alcohol, the abuse, your father."

"You can't blame yourself for the man that dad was." (Y/n) told her. "That wasn't your fault." 

"I stayed with him." Her mother replied. "I knew who he was, and I still stayed. I put you in so much danger." 

"You loved him." (Y/n) wasn't trying to justify her actions, but trying to understand them. "You wanted me to have a somewhat normal childhood. It didn't quite work out, but you didn't want me to grow up without a dad. I get it." 

"I don't expect you to forgive me." 

"Do you know what?" (Y/n) smiled, shrugging slightly, her hands in her pockets. "I forgave you a long time ago." She admitted, and a smile formed on her mother's face. 

"Do you think that this is something that we'll ever be able to move past, and maybe try and form a relationship again?" Her mother's voice was filled with hope, no matter how much she had tried to suppress it. "I'd like that." You admitted as your mother pulled you into a hug. 

"When you're free, do you want to come round to my new place, and have dinner?"

"Sure. You have my number?" (Y/n)'s mother nodded, a smile still there. "Text me the address." Her mother agrees, before bidding (Y/n) goodbye and walking away. "Mom?" (Y/n) said, making her mother turn around. "You look really well. I'm proud of you." Her mother smiled, before continuing to walk away, a newfound spring in her step. (Y/n) walked into her house, to see Billie standing by the door smiling. "I'm so happy for you." He said, pulling her into a tight hug, as a tear rolled down her face. She too,  was very happy. Everything was finally going right. 

****

Updated 2020