Chapter 17 - Christmas Decorating

I stared at the box of decorations.

"What are you doing with those?" I asked. I already knew the answer, I don't know why I asked.

"Decorations for the kitchen," Bruce replied. Bruce looked like an older version of Damian. Only Bruce has blue eyes instead of green.

"But Christmas isn't even for another. . ." I hadn't even realized what day it was. It was a week and a half until Christmas. Our last week until break was this week. "Oh, never mind."

"Damian, why don't you introduce me to your friend?" Bruce asked.

Bruce already knew who I was. I mean, I introduced myself back when I was involved of a diamond heist. That was when he was Batman. Plus, he did sorta made Damian become my friend. And he knew who my mom was. I guess he doesn't know I know who he is.

"Right. Father, this is Eva. Alfred and I just picked her from the cemetery for, um, you know. . ." Damian said.

"Ah. I am so sorry for your loss." Something about the way Bruce said that didn't suit well will me. He didn't have a glow in eyes like he does in photographs.

I took a sip of my drink and nodded.

"Eva, would you like to stay and decorate with us? You're more than welcome to," Bruce said.

I nearly joked on my hot chocolate. "Oh, no thank you, Mr. Wayne. I should be getting home anyways," I lied. I would have loved to have stayed anywhere but my own apartment.

"You can just call me Bruce."

Alfred walked in. "I'm afraid, Miss Eva, you'll have to stay a little longer here. The storm outside is too bad to go out."

I looked over at Damian to see if he could give me reassurance. He didn't show any expression to read him.

"Uh, okay," I finally said. "Just let me tell my mom."

I quickly walked out of the kitchen. I didn't have my phone, so I just stared at my hand. I doubt my mom would've cared anyways.

"Eva." I jumped a little. The voice of Damian rang threw the small hallway.

"Hey," I said back.

He handed me a piece of paper. "Here's a list of rooms you should cover."

I looked down at the list. There were at least 15 rooms in it. "Dang. I'd thought there'd be more."

"Is that a challenge?"

"No. I just thought we'd have more rooms to cover."

"Those are just your rooms. We each have about the same amount. Plus, there's some rooms that aren't going to get decorated. Once you're finished, come to the main parlor."

"'Kay."

I walked away from Damian and wandered the house until I came to my first room. The room looked to be a small library. Rows of books scattered the walls. Several couches laid around on the floor. I noticed a fake tree in the corner.

A box sat onto of one of the couches. Gold ornaments and strands of lights filed the box. I started to play the lights and ornaments evenly on the tree.

This looks absolutely bland. I thought once I was finished.

The room looked the exact same, except a tree was added. It didn't smell completely like Christmas. The tree wasn't even real. It was fake, decorated with white lights and gold ornaments. I wished there was something I could do about it, but there wasn't any pots or first around the grow anything.

I threw my hands up. Just then a miracle happened. Green, pine garland shot up and draped the curtain rods. I jumped back. Did I do that? I couldn't have. There wasn't anything to grow garland with.

I ignored it and moved on to the next room. It was on the second floor. It looked to be a bedroom. The box was full of all red decorations and white lights.

* * *

I finished all my rooms in just over an hour. I was trying to find the main parlor. I assumed it would be on the first floor. I found the main staircase that was near the front. I sat on the hand rail. I've always wanted to do this. I kicked off with my foot. I self down the rail. I leaned on my feet with a thud at the bottom.

I started walking around the front of the mansion. The sound of Christmas music rang through the hall. Not too far from the front door, I walked into the parlor. Bruce and Alfred were trying to decorate the top half of the tree. The tree kept leaning side to side. It didn't help that the tree was extremely tall to fit the high ceilings.

"Damian, can you come give us a hand?" Bruce asked.

I hadn't even noticed Damian until he sat up and walked off of the couch. "Hey, Eva," he said without a second glance. "What do I have to do?"

"Just stand at the bottom and support the tree," his father directed.

I smelt a hint of tree sap and leaves. "Is this a real tree?"

"Yes."

Damian was holding the tree by the trunk. He was doing his best to not get wacked by a tree branch. I felt a smirk form on my face. I moved my finger from side to wide. As I did so, the tree branches closest to Damian hit him in the face. He grunted and shoved the branches away from him.

I muffled my laughter. I managed to get out, "Do you need any help?"

"I think we're good for now. Just trying to get the top up first," Bruce answered.

"Oh, okay."

I didn't want to wander their house; I thought it would be weird. I would probably get lost anyways. I sat down on the couch. I didn't have my phone. I left it in my bag, which, I think, I left it in the car. I placed my feet on the couch and out my head in my hands. Pretty soon my eyelids started getting heavy and I was sound asleep.