Nona

"I'm so scared you're driving," Joe said, as Dianne pulled out of the rental car park at the airport, after familiarising herself with how to drive again. 

"Shh, don't put me off," Dianne said, shoving his leg, then focusing on getting the car to not jerk forward every 5 seconds.

"Sorry, are you sure you don't want me to drive, I am insured on this car you know?" Joe suggested, taking the handbrake off for her, so the car stopped beeping. 

"I'll be fine once we get on the highway and I get used to it. Also you didn't sleep on the second plane at all and I don't really think you should be driving." she said to him, laying a hand on his cheek, as the stopped behind another car. 

"It's only 2 hours, I'd be okay, but I half trust you so if you're absolutely sure then, my dear, I will allow you to drive us to your home," Joe said, leaning over and kissing her shoulder, as she pulled off smoothly, remembering the handbrake. 

"Good, you can park it though, I'm shit at parking, especially at Mum and Dad's place," she said, and cheered when they got out of the car park into the summer evening sun. 

"Deal, so I'm guessing you don't need the sat-nav going?" he checked, turning her phone in his hands. Joe's phone had been rendered useless in the foreign country but Dianne had inserted her Australian sim in and her phone had received the necessary messages from her family members. Dinner was waiting for them and only the immediate family would be there tonight.

"Nah, I should be all good, I'll take you by my old flat and stuff on the way. Then tomorrow I can show you all my old stomping grounds and school and stuff. Oh and I can show you where my first kiss was, like you did for me," she told him with maximum excitement, she had been jealous that he could show her his childhood, so to be able to do the same was lovely. 

~~~

"Go on, go in, I'll park and then I'll be with you," Joe said, as they passed each other behind the car, that was now outside of her parent's house. 

"I'll wait Joseph, we'll do this together," She smiled, kissing his cheek through the open window, before she stepped back for him to park under the house. 

"Your bag my dear, all 30 kilos of it," He joked, rescuing her bag for her, thankful it wasn't the big red case. 

"Oi, it's Christmas presents that I actually bought," she reminded him, though most of her gifts had been ordered online to her parent's to save on space. 

"Oh yeah, because half of them haven't made it into my case?" he said, tickling her side.

"You two going to come in, or keep arguing?" Rina appeared on the porch, looking down the steps at the couple. 

"Mum!" Dianne said, taking the steps two at a time, leaving Joe and her bag at the bottom the steps. 

"Here, I'll help you with that, Brendan," a man with curly hair said, holding his hand out for Joe to shake, Dianne's bag hoisted into his left hand.

"Joe, nice to meet you, thanks" He said with a false confidence, and the lifted his bag and Dianne's carry-on up the stairs. 

"Joseph, lovely to see you again" Dianne's mum pulled him into a hug as soon as he entered the house, that Dianne had given him a house tour of last year. 

"Rina, lovely to see you too, how've you been?" Joe said, ditching the cases so he could hug him properly. 

"Good, better for having you and Dot home," She said, and pulled back smiling. 

"Sugar, Butter!" Joe heard and suddenly he was hugging Andrew. 

"Andrew! Mel!" he said, hugging Mel after.