Bumped

Brighton on the 15th of January was a particularly cold affair. Dianne had just come in from dropping her daughter off at school and doing the weekly food shop. She pulled her coat off and set about putting the shopping away. Once she had done it all she walked upstairs to see if her husband or son were up and moving.

"Oh here's my boys, hi Cubby," Dianne cooed, picking her son up from his rocker that was next to Joe's desk where he was working on a revised contract for one of his clients.

"He was really good mummy, woke up just as you were leaving and had his entire bottle. He was a happy boy," Joe said, standing to kiss her. Dianne smiled into the kiss, never getting used to the sensation of his lips against her own.

"Did you drink all your milky Caleb? What a clever clever boy," Dianne praised him, kissing his head. Caleb was 4 months old. He was born the day after Joe's birthday.

"You're freezing, is it cold out there?" Joe asked, wrapping her in a hug.

"So icy, Nai nearly fell a few times," Dianne said, sitting in his lap.

"Good job you didn't take Cub then, what do you want to do today?" Joe asked, reaching his arms around Dianne to type again.

"How long have you got left to do on this?" She asked, fancying getting out for lunch. Having a baby and busy 5 year old doesn't leave you much time for each other or eating so a lunch date could be the perfect solution.

"Not too too much, why what were you thinking?" He asked, stroking Caleb's head whilst he read over the adjustments he had just made.

"We could go for lunch somewhere, get out of the house. And if we delayed ourselves long enough we could pick up Nim from school," Dianne suggested, standing from Joe's lap so she could properly rock the fussy baby.

"Sounds good," Joe said right as the landline in his office started ringing. He looked at Dianne, as if to say strange and picked up. Dianne refrained from giggling when Joe answered in his phone voice

"Oh, okay, erm yeah alright wow, yeah we'll be down as soon as possible," Joe said and Dianne stopped pacing to Caleb's annoyance, trying to hear who it was.

"It was the school," he said, taking Caleb off her.

"What? Oh is she ill, she didn't seem it, did y-" Dianne rambled, going to leave the office.

"She fell and bumped her arm, the nurse wants us to come down," Joe said, putting a hand on her back, guiding her out of the office.

"How bad is it Joe?" Dianne asked, she had heard his reaction and she knew her husband wasn't one to over react.

"She thinks it's broken, we'll take her to hospital," Joe said, putting Caleb in his carseat. The baby was crying but unfortunately he wasn't the biggest priority at that point. The parents knew he was just fussy and would settle quickly.

"But what about Cub, he can't go to the hospital, its flu season he'll get really sick," Dianne said, as Joe passed her a pair of shoes and her coat.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, let's just get to Naomi and go from there yes?" Dianne nodded and accepted his hand.

"Look Naomi, it's Mummy and Daddy and is that your baby brother?" The nurse said, pointing to Joe and Dianne who were being escorted by the receptionist to the medical room.

"Hi Monkey, did you take a tumble?" Joe asked, crouching down next to her. The nurse had her arm wrapped in ice so he couldn't see it. Naomi nodded and reached out for Joe with her left arm. He picked her up and sat down on the chair with her.