Talk

Joe was sat on the grey chair editing his video to the view of the darkening London skyline when he heard the front door go. "Hi Little One," he closed his laptop, spinning the chair around, it was time to pay attention to his darling girl.

"How was your day? How was the interview?" Joe asked, as Dianne came and sat in his lap, yawning. She cuddled into him not talking. His arms encircled her and he kissed her cheek softly, feeling her get heavier by the second."Tired sweetheart?"

"Drained," Dianne answered, shivering.

"Do you want to talk about your day? Or just sit and rest?" Joe asked, spinning the chair so he could reach a blanket to cover her. A tired and cold Dianne was a snuggly one yes, but Joe could tell that there was something else, other than the pure exhaustion she seemed to be having, that resulted in this particular snuggle.

"Can we talk later, just hold me at the moment?" Dianne asked quietly, she was sure Joe knew that there was something wrong but she wasn't ready to get into it.

"I love you," Joe reminded her, whispering it in her ear. He felt her smile against his neck, as she connecting their hands under the blanket. He pulled her properly onto his lap, wriggling himself back so she was reclined a little.

"Are you warm enough?" He asked, pulling the blanket up her more with his teeth making her giggle and nod.

They stayed silent, and Joe could practically hear the cogs wearing in her head- she was deep in thought. And not to be disturbed.

"Do you want any dinner Little One? Are these muscles hungry?" He asked eventually, when she seemed to slow, stroking the skin on her tummy.

Dianne shook her head, putting her hand atop this, smiling when he turned it over and linked their fingers, "not yet, can I talk to you now?"

"Of course, what's up my love?" He spun her around so that she was sort of facing him but still firmly planted on his lap, in his arms.

"Do you know what magazine was interviewing me today?" She asked, stroking his cheek with her fingertips, feeling the stubble underneath them.

"No, you didn't tell me, what one was it?" Joe asked, tucking her fringe behind her ear.

"It's called Happiful, it's a sort of mental health and wellbeing magazine, I was giving them an inside perspective of what it's like, no, what the pressure is like being a competitive international dancer," Joe nodded and brushed his knucle along her forehead gently to relax her. He didn't break their eye contact smiling at her to continue, "Anyway I told them a story that I haven't fully told you. I want to tell you about it before you read it. I promise I haven't hidden it from you but it's just a hard story, I didn't realise I was telling her about it until it was happening. I suppose an opportunity never came up, I didn't hide it, but now I have an opportunity and I want to tell you."

"It's okay, I understand, so what did you talk about then? Do you definitely want to share it with me now? You could wait a little if you wanted, until you're ready."

"I'm ready now, it's just might take a little bit. I only gave her a brief overview but I want you to know the whole thing. Is that okay, it might take a while?" She checked, he thoughts were going so fast her brain felt sluggish and slow.

"Of course it is Little One, shall we go and sit down on the couch so we can spread out and cuddle?" Joe suggested, kissing her cheek.

Once they were settled on the sofa sat up, knees touching, Dianne took his hand- it felt too formal to not have taken it.

"I love you," he encouraged, squeezing her hand tightly.

Dianne nodded, took a deep breath of preparation and, very quietly, began, "I was maybe 23 or 24 no younger actually 21 or 22, so young. I was dancing in BTF, Burn The Floor, living the dream. It was amazing, I remember the first rehearsal in LA, I loved it. I was little Dianne from the smallest place in the world with one road in and one out dancing on the world stage and sometimes even for celebrities. I couldn't fault the company, it was people who I had been following for so long, people who I had been inspired by. Karren, Kevin, Janette, Aljaž all of them. Amazing people absolutely amazing. I was living my absolute dream, you know this though," she met his eyes and Joe could see there was fire in them. She looked excited- this was the look she had when she was talking about something that she loved. He nodded and squeezed her hand again, smiling at her smile.