Songs

Joe looked over at Dianne and sighed. His honey was looking particularly sad. She and her dance partner had just been knocked out of the competition the week before Blackpool and she wasn't happy. The only thing wrong with the routine had been that he had stumbled. Then in the dance off, the nerves had got the better of him in and they had lost 4 votes to zero. It had put a dampener on her Sunday. Especially because she suddenly had a lot of free time and no idea what to do with it.

She had been curled up on the grey chair for a large portion of the afternoon, looking over London's grey sky, as Joe worked. It was miserable put there and was acting as perfect pathetic fallacy for her mood. She had been aimlessly scrolling through social media for most of her time, looking at the apology messages her fans had sent her. Furthermore, it hadn't done much to lighten her mood when she saw that her family were all together on a day out in Bunbury and she was stuck in miserable London for what felt like absolutely no reason. 

"Okay Google, play Dianna Ross, can't hurry love please," Joe said, as he walked around the counter. Dianne looked up as he spun the chair around to face the empty space in front of her, Joe already clicking his fingers along to the beat. As the lyrics started Joe mimed a microphone and belted out the song, simultaneously doing a sort of lindy hop jive to it. Seeing that there was still no smile on her face, he dropped to his knees as he sang: 
"How many heartaches must I stand
Before I find the love to let me live again
Right now the only thing that keeps me hanging on
When I feel my strength, ooh, it's almost gone," dramatically waving his arms. 

When Dianne giggled, he pulled her up and started trying to jive with her singing as loudly as he could. It failed miserably making Dianne laugh more. Joe bounced his shoulders up and down, clicking again. Randomly, he threw in a fred astaire walk from the quickstep and pretended to dip his top hat when the music stopped. 

"Okay google, next play that song from Matilda," he said and shouted "yes" when she suggested the correct song. He kissed Dianne's nose quickly before beginning to bob his knees. 

"You're mental," Dianne laughed, as Joe picked her up and spun her around. 

"It's working though," Joe said and carried on singing, swaying with her out of time to the music. 

"Google play our songs playlist," Dianne said and snuggled into his chest, as the songs that they held closest to them filled the kitchen.

"Are you okay little one?" Joe asked, as the swayed to Your Song.

"Yeah, I just wasn't expecting it, goes to show though, how nerves and a trip can play such a huge role. I feel so bad for him," Dianne said, putting her head on his chest.

Joe hummed in response and continued trailing his hands up and down her spine.

"There's something else?" He said, when she lifted her head to look at him. Her hands had moved to behind his neck and they looked like two teenagers at an American high school  dance, swaying from side to side as they turned.

"I miss my family," she whispered, eyes glossed with tears. Joe stopped them turning and put her head down on his chest. He stroked her hair as she silently cried. It had been a while since this had happened but everytime it did, it broke his heart. Those moments he realised that he would do anything for her. He would move halfway around the world just to see her smile. There wasn't anything that he wouldn't do.

"Oh Darlin'," he said, picking her up and placing her on the counter so they were matched hights. She laid her head on his shoulder and he sung softly.

"The voices echoed across the ways, it's getting late
It was just another night with the sunset and
The moon rise not so far behind
To give us just enough light
To lay down underneath the stars listening to
Papa's translations of the stories across the sky, we drew our own constellations,"

Dianne recognised the song as one Joe sang when they were waiting for a car back from Pride of Britain and they could see all the stars in the sky. She felt herself calm at his voice, like how a baby would at a lullaby.

Joe was her lullaby; incredibly able to calm her down in her worst heartache. In the times when the world wasn't such a friendly place. When it wasn't somewhere where she wanted to be.

"I love you," he reminded her when the song faded into the next.

"Do you want some dinner, or is it too sad?" Joe asked. He knew when Dianne was feeling sad she wasn't a fan of eating.

"Can we share?" Dianne asked, rubbing her eye. Joe nodded and moved her hand away, wiping her tears with a tissue.

"I'm sorry you're so far away from them Di," Joe said, as he sent her to the sofa, David Grey now filling the background. Normally he'd have affectionately called her Dot, but the pain she seemed to be in would probably only be intensified by the use of a childhood name.

"I've got you," she sighed, as he sat down and passed her a fork for the stir fry.

"I'm not going anywhere, ever, okay?" Joe reminded her as she laid on his front. As Joe suspected her appetite was gone so she just snuggled into him and dropped off, serenaded by Joe's occasional humming along to the songs that filled him with their memories, both big and small.

Comforting her wasn't his favourite thing to do in the world because it meant she was sad. But comforting her allowed him to show her quite how much love he had for her.

"I love you little one, so bloody much."