novem

The young Princess was sitting peacefully on her bed

The young Princess was sitting peacefully on her bed. A novel was sitting delicately on her small lap, her knees bent slightly upwards, and her feet were snuggled under the soft blankets.

Her round eyes were sliding over the page with great trouble; the words being harder and harder to read. The beginning was simple for her, just a few words. But the more she went into it, the less she could read.

Alfheim never did have any reason for a Light Elf to read. Everything the young Princess needed to learn, and she learned from someone else.

The sun was beginning to set when the Princess' frustration had only began to simmer. She did like to read; but it only made her feel insecure. She knew she was not that intelligent.

So the novel was set aside and she allowed herself to escape her chambers for the first time that day. Typically the young Princess would be the first one out of the palace, but instead she was the last.

The beautiful dining hall was just beginning to fill when Dahlia sat down at the stone table next to her mother. Although her stomach empty, her appetite was little to none. She pushed around little walnuts and forest vegetables with a little wooden fork.

Queen Freyja, of course, noticed it. Her heart saddened at the sight of her daughter. Dahlia was never to be seen without a light in her eye and a smile on her face.

"What is it, my love?" She asked her daughter.

Dahlia looked at her mother with a crooked smile. "I tried my best at reading, I truly did. Though some words are just very confusing and I can't read it."

The Queen nodded slowly. She truthfully did not believe that any Light Elf needed to read; not in their realm. But she understood Dahlia's longing for it.

"Perhaps..." She spoke slowly. "This way help you."

A folded piece of paper was passed to the Princess. Her brows furrowed in confusion as she took the note lightly from her mother and opened to read it.

*

"Loki, thank you for accompanying me on my afternoon walk." Queen Frigga told her son as they approached the golden staircase at the back of the palace.

"Of course, mother." Her young son replied.

"I do believe that our upcoming celebration will be quite the occasion." Frigga nodded her head towards the busy palace staff. They had been running around for the past two weeks.

Loki had an urge to roll his eyes. "I am afraid that Thor's birthday has become quite the celebration." In honesty, Loki was quite envious of the attention is older brother had. Everyone seemed to favor Thor over the younger Prince.

"I say it so. And have you found a lovely maiden to attend the celebration with?"

Loki smiled at that. "I do not believe that there any many maidens lining up at my door."

Frigga was saddened by that. She was not blind; she did see how much he was overshadowed by his older brother. She loved her sons dearly and equally,  but their relationship was much too complicated and there were too many secrets. Those of which the Queen wanted to be revealed more than anything.

"Perhaps you shall find someone in time." She smiled at her son.

Loki, of course, did not believe her words. The face of only one maiden came to his mind, and after not hearing a slightest word from her, he was convinced that she had forgotten all about the few days they shared together in Alfheim. Perhaps she only thought of Thor.

"I believe that I am quite parched. I shall see you for supper, thank you for our time." Loki pressed a simply kiss to his mother's cheek before he ran off into the grand palace he called home.

Frigga sighed and watched her son disappear. She wanted more than anything to console him and make sure he felt every bit loved as he did unwanted. It was just very complicated.

The Queen found herself on the balcony in her room, looking out to Asgard. Her thoughts drifted to the life she had lived, and how she had. She thought of the Great War and before her time with Odin.

She never loved him at first. She wed him out of duty and for the good of the realms. She produced  heirs for the thrown and adopted a Frost Giant child; the same child that, while she would never admit to, she felt more close to than anyone else.

Though she had a peaceful life. She did like the life that she had.

It was only that when Odin visited her on the balcony that she truly grew vexed. His words were less than comforting, and her motherly instincts were always so strong.

"I have sent a letter to Alfheim, requesting Princess Dahlia to come to Asgard at once."

"And for what reason, my King?"

"For my sons celebration, of course. I believe that her voice should be heard on all of Asgard. And it will not hurt the idea of wedding them."

Frigga looked at him. "Do you think that is wise, dear? The Princess is younger than Loki, she has only just become of age. Perhaps an introduction to Asgard is wiser in a different manner."

Odin grew tense. He did not like to be doubted. "I believe she will do what is best. I am the King of the Nine Realms, am I not? She will be wise not to make an enemy out of me."

Frigga grew even more vexed. How could the King be so unobservant. "And what of Loki?"

"What of him?"

"Surely you had noticed the way that he fawned over the Princess. And she him. Thor did not spare her a second look, not in the way you hope for him to have."

"No. She will wed Thor and Asgard and Alfheim will be united as it should have been after the Great War." Odin nodded.

Frigga narrowed her eyes only slightly. While not jealous, she knew very well of the feelings that Odin once possessed for the Queen of Alfheim. And when Freyja rejected them on grounds of Alfheim needing her more than Asgard, he had been upset for days. Then she wed him instead.

Though the Queen of Asgard was not only vexed at that. She knew very well of what Odin had just implied, but she tested him either way. She wanted to see if he would say it. An unspoken event that they had never discussed deeply.

"And what of Loki? Surely if they were to wed the Realms would still be linked."

Odin shook his head. "I will not have it."

"And why will you not have it? Surely your youngest sons happiness is just as equal in your want for Thor's? Can you be so blind to not see how hurt Loki is?"

"Do not insult me!" A sudden and painful slap burned Frigga's cheek. "I will not have it. Thor and Dahlia will be wed, and that is my final decision."

Then Odin was gone, leaving his Queen standing on the balcony, holding a stinging cheek, and the thought of taking her sons and leaving Asgard for good weighing heavily on her mind.

But that was silly. Surely, things would not come to that.