quattuordecim

The water was clear and it smelt nothing of the crystal lake that she grew up by

The water was clear and it smelt nothing of the crystal lake that she grew up by. But she still just adored to look at the way the water lapped at the sandy shore of the lake. It was quieter here then it was in the crowded kingdom.

Dahlia felt the usual flutter in her stomach as she walked, but she did not pay any mind to it. Instead she thought of it as being happy. Or maybe the different kinds of food that she ate here.

"How much longer until Thor's celebration?" Dahlia asked the Prince.

"The end of next week, I believe."

Dahlia nodded. "Will you still escort me?"

"Of course."

The friends continued on their walk, the breeze blowing softly between them. It was relaxing to them, more so than anything had been in the past hundred years. They felt comfortable.

"How old are you?" Loki asked the Princess.

She smiled, "I turned a thousand earlier this year. And you?"

"A thousand seventy."

"How old is Thor?"

Loki scoffed. "Much older. Quite ancient, really."

Dahlia laughed at his joke. "Fleur is very young. Though she is grown in her mind. I believe she will make a better Queen than I do."

"Do you not want it?"

The Princess blinked a few times. "I do, I believe I do. It's just that I do not believe that I can do it."

"What do you mean?"

"I just do not think that I will be a very good Queen. What if something were to happen? My mother's reign has been so peaceful but if something were to happen, I don't know what I would do."

Loki stopped walking and looked at the maiden in his arm. "You will be a very wonderful Queen, Princess Dahlia."

"Thank you, Prince Loki." She smiled. "But is still does not help my worries."

"I suppose not. I do not have that fear. Thor will be King of Asgard one day."

"And what of you?"

Loki never truly thought about his future. "I suppose I will help him. I will keep his head out of the clouds."

"Sounds very lonely." Dahlia told him without thinking. "Oh, I am sorry. I did not mean to be hurtful."

"No, no." Loki shook his head. "You were not hurtful. And I suppose it will be lonely. But I am sure my father has plans to betroth my fate with another, as well as Thor's."

At his words, Dahlia grew almost upset. She did not like to imagine her friend in the arms of another. And she didn't like the feeling; she never felt if before.