31

It has been a couple of weeks since Bella's birthday, and everything was back to normal. Well, not entirely everything. There have been some slight changes—good changes to be exact. Archer was always over the moon, crossing on eggshells and trying not to jinx it, but what can he do? It was what he has hoped for since he laid eyes on her, so he can't help but gloat with how things turned out with Bella. Their relationship has been progressing since her birthday. It ain't much, to be honest, but it's something, at least she isn't avoiding his calls or texts anymore, she is talking to him normally, yet she still bottles her feelings towards him, she is still afraid, but he knows, no he is sure that soon they will overcome this obstacle. And why the rush? He has the time in the whole world.

Little did he know how wrong he is. As soon, having no other choice, his father would result in crumbling all his happiness and hopes.

"Father, you requested for my arrival?" Archer entered the king's grande office.

King Steven noticed the happy gleam in his son's eyes and was already upset if what he would say next. "Yes, son. Please take a seat; we have some matters to discuss."

Archer took a seat hesitantly as he observed his father. "What matters, exactly ?"

King Steven sighed as he leaned back in his chair. "Archer, son, you have to hear me carefully and let me finish till the end."

Archer shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "What's wrong? Something happened with Ashley?"

"No, no, nothing of that. Everybody is okay. It's something regarding me... and the throne."

Archer's eyebrows knitted in confusion. "What about it? Are you okay?"

"No, I am not okay, Archer, and that's exactly what I have to talk to you about." King Steven rested his arms on the desk in front of him as he looked Archer straight in the eyes. "I am getting old, my body is weakening, and I have a lot of trouble caused by the stress of the throne and the kingdom's matters. It's my time to hand it down to you, but you still aren't wedded..."

Archer cut him off immediately. "But father, I can rule it on my own at least until—"

"I know, Archer. I know that you can rule it just well by yourself, but that's the traditions. I also know that you are waiting for her, and I love this girl dearly and love how she spreads happiness into your soul, but we cannot wait any longer. You have to figure it out with her soon. Propose to her, seal the deal in two months maximum or..."

Archer had an idea of his father's next words, and he dreaded them already. "Father, please..." he pleaded with helpless eyes.

King Steven turned a blind eye to his plea and continued. "Two months. Or I will choose your bride myself."

"No, father, please, don't do that to me. She just needs some time. She is almost there." Archer tried pleadingly.

"I am sorry, Archer. That's how it gonna be." He turned to his papers spread in his mahogany desk, not bearing the sight of his distressed son. "You are dismissed, now. I have some matters to attend to."

Archer nodded slowly; feeling defeated, he got up and went out of that suffocating room and up to his bedroom. Entering his bedroom, he rested his head on the room's door and sighed while closing his eyes. What will he do now? He can't possibly ask Bella to marry him; she isn't ready that it will scare her away, again! After all that progress, they made! After she accepted this thing, whatever it is between them. Now, when it's all going smoothly, something has to come up and mess it all for them. What will he do now? What's the best choice to make? He desperately asked no one but himself.

...

"Aww, he is so cute." Ashley cooed as she held the newborn baby in her arms, her baby bump already showing.