temporary replacement

hi i didn't really edit this so sorry for mistakes

*

a week had passed and nothing interesting happened, mike would try and invite el on his dates with meagan so she wouldn't feel left out. but she always declined, she felt like she was just a bother to them, and quite frankly she didn't want to speak to meagan more than she had to. but then seeing the two run off to their date made her frown, she hated seeing mike with another girl.

and throughout the week he had slowly started spending less and less time with el. he wanted to hang out with her but meagan kept pulling him away from her any time he got close to her. it was annoying but he didn't want to upset the blond, so he never said anything. and because of that, the situation got worse. he hadn't talked to el all day. all day!

even el noticed it, she was mad. she knew it wasn't all his fault, she knew meagan was just as much a culprit as he was. if mike wasn't going to hang out with her then who was?

she had always gotten along better with boys than girls so she would look for someone new. not to replace mike, but just to temporarily fill in for him. she looked at all the different lunch tables and the kids sitting at them, all bozos, she thought. then she looked at her lunch table. lucas, dustin, and will we're her choices. she liked lucas but max would say something to her if they started hanging out. will was shy and she wasn't so sure that he liked her all that much.

dustin.

he was the only one left and he was actually her favorite of the girl. she knew dustin always liked hanging out with steve but ever since he had gone off to college dustin had no one to hang out with. "hey dustin."

"hey ellie." he smiled looking right at her, "what's up?" he asked taking a bite out of his sandwich, "you want to hang out later?" she asked, "sure! i can meet you at the mall after school."

"sounds good. ever since mike is dating meagan i don't have anyone to hang out with, and i know since steve left you've kinda been alone." she shrugged, "yeah your right," he chuckled, "i need some actual friends my age." he said with small frown, "i need other friends besides mike."

"very true. meagan is just taking over his life, have you seen her? every time mike tries to come up to any of us she pulls him away! i was trying to talk to him and she moseys her way over! go away meagan!" dustin said making el laugh, "you read my mind exactly."

mike watched from across the cafeteria, he wanted to be with his friends so bad but meagan dragged him over to her table. he was sick and tired of hearing about hair products, nail polish and clothing. he just wanted to talk to his best friends. that's when he heard it, that laugh.

from across the cafeteria he could point el's out immediately. he looked away for one second and then he heard it. who could she be laughing with? who was making her laugh that much? he turned around to look at his usual table and saw her and dustin laughing with each other. mike immediately felt jealous, how could she just replace him that quickly?

he watched them carefully, he would see dustin say something and then el would start laughing all over again. mike felt a pant of jealously, how did he get her to laugh that easily?

"mike?" he turned and saw meagan looking at him, "what?" it came out more snappy than he wanted it to, "what are you looking at?"

"nothing, just um spaced out." she nodded, still looking unsure. "oh! we have to talk about prom, it's coming up!"

"oh. right." his thoughts drifted to what el said, "well what if i have a date?"

"then i'll just have to cancel them"

now that he thought about that he was most likely be going to prom with meagan. then would el go with? he didn't want her to go by herself. he couldn't let that happen. but if she did end up going by herself he would have to do something about that. but she would probably go with dustin because he's her new best friend.

mike didn't matter anymore it was dustin now. she was just making her way down the line. mike was long forgotten, at least in his head he was.

*

el and dustin walked around the mall looking i shops that they probably wouldn't even go in. talking about anything that came to mind, "so how come you wanted to hang out with me? like what about max?"

"eh. she's okay. i feel like your more fun to be around, plus max is always telling me what to do." el shrugged, "fair enough, she can be bratty sometimes." dustin replied, "sometimes? she treats lucas with such disrespect, every time they break up she expects a gift from him." she scoffed, "its so annoying." the curly boy agreed, "so are you going to prom?" el asked, "no."

"why not?!"

"because, who am i going to go with? my girlfriend lives all the way in Utah, she can't come all the way here just for a school dance." he muttered, "well i was gonna go with mike but he's obviously going with meagan, so you want to go with me? as friends?"

"sure.. not like i have anything better to do." he smiled, "okay great! we have to think about what we're gonna wear." she said grabbing his arm and pulling him into a store.

*

mike walked around the dress store in a bored manner, he was at the mall with meagan looking for their prom outfits. she was trying in dresses so mike was just waiting around. he just wanted to hang out with el. nothing else than to sit in her room and talk for hours. that was his favorite thing to do.

he sighed and looked out the store window to see the person that was on his mind running through the mall with dustin. she was holding onto his wrist as they sprinted through the mall. he wondered what they were doing in that moment, where they were going. mike hated feeling controlled by meagan, but every time he tried to confront her about it, he chickened out.

but being in a dress store was not what he wanted to be doing right now. he had to get out of there, meagan could get one of her friends to help her.

"hey meg?" he called into the dressing room, "yes?"

"i totally forgot my mom wanted me home by 5 because i have to take holly somewhere."

"oh, um okay. your leaving now?" she asked, "yeah, see you tomorrow okay?" he heard her mumble something and he walked out of the store. thank god she was gullible. and dumb.

mike went to his car and got in, then he thought "how is she gonna get home?"
not his problem anymore.

he started the car and started to drive home. when he got back to the two story house he saw both of his parents cars in the driveway. great. mike parked his car right behind theirs and walked to the house, he didn't hear anything from the outside so that was good. he walked in the front door and it was quiet. to quiet.

he walked further into the house and saw his mom cooking something in the kitchen. "hey mom.." he said hesitantly, "hey sweetie!"  mike furrowed his eyebrows. when was she that cheery?

"where's dad?"

"oh he went to pick up holly. he'll be back in a bit."

this was too weird. his mom was too happy.

what was going on?

authors note:

hi sorry this sucked. i just wanted to get mike's jealousy started so here's this random weird filler.

i'm a sucker for henderhop (dustin and el) so i had to include their friendship.
anyway yeah so go let your eyes puke now.

hope u enjoyed

-nedy✌🏼