What the?

Riff wakes up to find himself in an alleyway. In the back of a restaurant, with his body covered from head to toe in the trash.

As he tosses bags of shit off. He sees Ben walking up. Puts out his hand. Riff grabs his hand. Been shakes his head, "Ready for the next move"?

Riff preparing himself for what's to come. Getting his proper footing. Gently touches the back of his head to feel for any bumps and or cuts. No bleeding or bruising in that area. "I believe so. Let me try something". Riff putting pieces of what he can of the puzzle together. Asks Ben a question. Not verbally, but mentally telepathically. Asking Ben to nod his head.

After telepathically asking him. Ben looks then smirks and does what he asks. Ben nods his head. Riff's eyes widen in shock. Makes a gesture with his head to keep moving.

They start to walk around. Day breaks, at the moment. They just stood outside, not one person out for miles around. After a minute passes. People were coming out of their cars, buildings, etc. Stores that were closed are now open.

Riff was still lost to what was going on. Calliope is on a billboard. While Riff was looking up. Ben taps Riff on the shoulder and subtly points across the street.

To Whom he sees smiling. Amanda his darling wife. Riff not knowing what to do. He just walks across the street.

Riff walks across ongoing traffic speeding to and from either direction. Barely missing him. Face to face, they stand before each other. "Amanda, please tell me what's going on"?

She smiles, "At least you are willing to listen now. What you need to do is focus because you just moved to the next stage".

She pauses to clear her throat, "Just remain open-minded to get through to the next step. Remember a still mind sees more than a frozen one".

Riff shakes his head. Knowing he heard that quote before. "How long has this been going on"?

Ben from across the street. Speaking telepathically, "LONGER THAN YOU THINK".

Riff turns around. Eyes widen in shock. "What the fuck"?

Amanda stares at the back of his head. Says to him telepathically, "It's a lot longer than you would care to know".

Riff turns to Amanda, filled with emotion on his face. "What is real? I heard you in my head. Why"?

Calliope whispers from a great distance, "Hey" from down the block. Amanda nudges him to Calliope. Riff walks over. "Am I still choosing things"?

Calliope softly speaks out. "Not this time, but you know things will only get worse before it gets better".

Filled with frustration. "Why am I going through this"?

Professor Smith walks from out of nowhere. "This is your doing. You need to realize why everything is happening. Otherwise you will reset".

Riff yelled out, "How do I fight what I don't understand". Riff yells again, then passes out.

Riff's mind was overwhelmed. Fell unconscious, adrift in an empty paradox.

All there is endless white. Riff sees Ben cutting through the white wall. As he's squeezing his body through a tight space. Ben laughs, "A mind is a tight place. But you're getting it. Let's hope you don't lose it. Remember every avenue has an approach. Nothing is unapproachable, just understanding the situation, it will get difficult".

All Riff could do is just stare.

Ben breathes out then continues. "Just be willing to proceed because you won't survive another reset. Survival of the fittest. The question is, are you fit enough to survive?

Riff's eyes again widen in astonishment. "I would have to know what I'm fighting to fight it".

Ben smiles, "Believe it or not, you do. You just have to continue. Everything will come back to you in one form or another".

As Riff was going to say something. Everything was drifting apart, fading away. Riff sitting in the dark, "This is too crazy to entertain".

Darkness swallows him whole, like a pill.

To be continued