Questions that went unanswered

After Team 7 returned from the Land of the Waves, they spent a couple of days doing D rank missions. Naruto and Sasuke's relationship seemed to have gotten even worse. Akashi tried to figure out what was going on and he arrived at a conclusion. Naruto was mad because Sasuke saved him. He even almost ruined a couple of missions they had, because he tried too hard at doing better than Sasuke.

They were walking through Konoha, when Kakashi looked at the sky and spoke up. "Now, then... Shall we call it quits for today? I have to go submit the mission report now". Sasuke said he was going home and Sakura ran after him. Naruto and Akashi remained with Kakashi. And then he disappeared in a puff of smoke. "Not even a bye? Nice one sensei". Akashi shook his head in disappointment.

"Naruto, I'm gonna take a walk, I'll see you later". Akashi patted Naruto's head and walked away. Now, where do I go? He thought as he walked through the streets. "I haven't had lunch yet". He said absentmindedly. Then he saw a store sign. Ichiraku Ramen. "Isn't this the place Naruto eats at all the time?" He furrowed his brows and went inside. "Welcome!" A kind-looking old man said.

Akashi carefully walked up to the man. "What would you like?" The man asked, a smile on his face. Akashi never got this response when he went to any store, usually he was declined and sent out or asked to pay double the price. This man in front of him looked at him like he was a normal kid, and not a demon as everyone in the village liked to call him and Naruto. "Uh...". He stammered, not expecting the kindness.

The man didn't tell him to hurry up, he waited patently. "Take your time". He said with the smile still on his face. Akashi quickly cleared his throat. "Your spiciest ramen, please". He ordered and the man nodded. "Coming right up, you can take a seat right there". He pointed at a chair nearby. Akashi followed his instructions and took a seat. Not even 10 minutes passed and the man came back with his food.

"Here you go". He said as he placed the bowl in front of him. Akashi reached in his back pocket for the money, but he was stopped by the man. "Now, we'll have none of that, first-time customers get a free first meal". The man shook his head. "By the way, are you sure you can handle the spiciness?" The man asked him. Akashi tilted his head and grinned. "My taste perception is almost nonexistent, so I like strong flavored food". He explained to the man. He's had this problem ever since he could remember.

The man's eyes widen momentarily, before they go back to normal. Akashi noticed the reaction. "Is there something wrong?" He slowly asked. The man looked away for a moment and then looked back at Akashi. "Everything is fine... it's just... you really remind me of someone". That caught Akashi's attention. "May I ask who?" He inquired. The man took a chair and brought it closer to Akashi's table. "You have the same hair as her and... the same taste problem". Akashi's eyes widen and he takes a sharp inhale of breath.

"D-Do you know who she is?" He stuttered as he asked the man. The man shook his head. "Sorry, never caught her name, but I haven't seen her for a long time". He answered. "A long time?" He breathed out. The man nodded. "Yeah... for about...". The man trailed off as he looked at the ceiling in thought. "...12 years?" He finished and Akashi felt his heart stop. "12... years?" He said out loud as he shuffled out of his chair. "12 years". He repeated and stumbled out of the shop, ignoring the man when he called out to him.

His ears started ringing when he exited the shop. The street was packed with people and with every sound they made, the ringing got worse and worse. I've gotta get out of here. He thought as he pushed through the crowd of people. "Watch it kid!" One man said when Akashi brushed his arm. "Y-You! Little demon brat!" The man yelled when he saw who he was. The moment the man uttered those words, the noise around him stopped. He turned his head around to look at what happened.