chapter 2

❝ When you look at me with those scared eyes, you really make me want to lie and say that we'll be okay

 When you look at me with those scared eyes, you really make me want to lie and say that we'll be okay. 

How are you supposed to go and meet your new friend for brunch when you just the previous night, you found out that your family is actually made of a bunch of criminals? Usually - you don't, but luckily for me, I was good at pretending like everything was okay and normal. A professional almost. I was doing it for quite a while now.

Kim Yerim was sitting at a table at the very end of an expensive cafe when I found her. The chair by her side was occupied by her designer bag and one of her school books was opened on her lap, but she had yet to finish reading through the project that someone else completed for her. Instead, her attention was focused on the special document that she was holding in her hands and she was practicing someone's signature before she would copy it on the paper. Strands of dark hair were falling on her concentrated eyes, she was tapping her heel against the ground and she didn't even notice my appearance until I sat down by her side and quietly asked: '' What's that? '' 

She flinched with surprise and nearly knocked over the pink milkshake that was placed in front of her. Placing a hand over her chest and taking deep breaths, she raised her gaze towards my face and cringed for the second time. '' Seriously, do you not know that concealer exists? I get that it's barely ten in the morning, but that's not a sufficient excuse for leaving the house looking like that. Your eyebags are tragic. ''

'' The cosmetic industry has yet to make a concealer that would be good enough to cover my eyebags, '' I seriously mumbled and let out a loud yawn. I couldn't fall asleep before six in the morning and I was passed out just for a good two hours before Yerim's text message woke me up again. I debated on ignoring it and her invite to brunch, but I was worried that I wouldn't get another chance, since I already blew her off once, the previous evening when I was supposed to join her on the bleachers. And I had a feeling that being friends with someone like Yerim would be good for me, so I really wanted to give it a try.

'' You think so? I'll take that as a challenge and find you one the next time that I go shopping, '' the girl replied and clapped in excitement. She picked up the document that was placed in front of her and held it towards me. Her voice remained lighthearted, but I noticed how her shoulders tensed when she explained: '' My therapist was supposed to sign this, but I really didn't feel like going to my session yesterday. It's not like I needed it anyway. My mom is forcing me to go and she's making me give these papers to him. She's too busy doing her own thing to actually come to therapy with me and she doesn't trust me enough to believe my word when I say that I went. ''

Yerim paused for a moment when a waiter approached our table. I glanced at the menu of the expensive place and frowned at the list of overly complicated and weird drinks before looking over my shoulder and ordering: '' I'll have... Can you just take the biggest cup that you have and fill it with espresso? ''