chapter 4

❝ I am good at waiting and staying hopeful for things that'll never happen

 I am good at waiting and staying hopeful for things that'll never happen. 

A street light kept flickering until it finally gave out and the whole alleyway fell in to darkness. That was when Baekhyun and I stepped out of his car and rapidly crossed the parking lot. He entered a convenience store and did a small nod at the startled cashier, before he headed directly towards the crowded public canteen that was at the end of it. I saw some people raise their heads from their food and follow us with their eyes until we passed the long tables, disappeared from their view and reached the inner courtyard of some dingy apartment building.

I tilted my head back and gave a better look at the windows, covered by metallic bars and the railings of different balconies, adorned with freshly cleaned laundry. It was a cheap living space, but the community made it bearable. I spent a month or two in a building similar to this one, but we were always having trouble because of a neighbor who kept drinking too much, leaving broken glass on staircases and peeing on other people's potted flowers. Here, the ambiance seemed peaceful. I would almost call it nice, if it wasn't for small details like the remains of yellow police tape or some gang's graffiti.

Baekhyun knew that he needed to be fast and when we reached the door of a specific apartment, he knocked on it without hesitation and screamed: '' Pizza delivery! ''

I arched an eyebrow and glanced at him in disbelief. '' Seriously? ''

He rolled his eyes and ran through his silver hair with his hand. '' What? I'd take my gun out, but I know that you'd just start screaming again... Now let's try to finish things here as fast as possible. I still have homework to do and you have a fancy restaurant opening party to go to. ''

Someone appeared at the entrance of the apartment and opened the protective iron door that was separating us. He eventually noticed that we weren't holding any pizza boxes in our hands and realised that he made a mistake, but by then it was already too late. Baekhyun grabbed the collar of the guy's shirt before he could close the door in our face, then we heard someone scream from the inside of the home: '' Which one of you idiots fell for that stupid pizza trick again? ''

Baekhyun pushed the unknown guy out of the way and stalked inside the apartment. I showed the thug a nervous smile before I quickly hurried forward, looking around and taking in my surroundings. I didn't know where exactly we were or who the home belonged to, but it was obvious that whoever it was - they were a dealer. They tried to hide it, but it the small details still gave it away, like the money counter that someone forgot on a coffee table, a bowl full of small plastic packets and a weed plant, decorated by air fresheners and casually growing on the window sill.

Baekhyun stopped at the entrance of the living room and tried to cover my eyes with his hands, but I already caught a glimpse of the guy that was standing behind an ironing board and ironing clothes in nothing but an apron. Then my gaze landed on the dealer Minghao, who was sitting on the sofa, weighting spoonfuls of white dust and packing it in smaller plastic containers. It seemed like he decided to take care of some orders while he was waiting for his hairdye to take effect and for his flatmate to finish doing laundry. His grey hair was sticking up on top of his head and much like the guy that was ironing clothes in just an apron, he was wearing nothing but a vest, paired together with white gloves and a mask. A cigarette was hanging on the side of his lips, his eyes were narrowed in concentration and he was trying to ignore us until Baekhyun said: '' Don't even try to act surprised. You must've known that we were coming. ''