special chapter: chanyeol

❝ I've got your back

❝ I've got your back. Always. 

It was the first time that Park Chanyeol saw a man cry and he didn't know what to do.

'' Come on, man... You're causing a scene. ''

'' Do I look like I care? '' 

Chanyeol came to the hospital as soon as Baekhyun called him. He knew that his friend was involved in some dangerous things, so he was worried that he got himself in trouble, but when he found him, he discovered that he wasn't there as a patient. Baekhyun was at the hospital to visit someone else. And judging from the look on his face, that someone, wasn't doing very well.

'' She woke up today. '' Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol's shirt and pulled him in a tight embrace. The taller boy wasn't sure if his friend was truly after human contact or if he just wanted to hide his teary eyes from him, but he still hugged him back. '' She woke up for the first time in weeks and she didn't even recognise me. ''

Baekhyun's mother was an addict and a good month ago, she got hit by a car. She almost died in the hospital, when her body started going through heroin withdrawal symptoms, but somehow, the doctors managed to keep her alive. Her son was desperately waiting for her to wake up again and now that she finally did, she had no idea who he was. 

'' Is she the reason why you've always been so weirdly overprotective of Kit? ''

'' Is it that obvious? '' Baekhyun mumbled, lowered his head and cracked a small smile, while he rapidly wiped his teary eyes. 

They were both quiet for a few moments, then Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun again and reluctantly asked: '' Can I talk to you about something? But you have to promise that you'll keep it a secret. ''

Baekhyun rolled his eyes when Chanyeol glanced at his unconscious mother. She woke up a little earlier, but it lasted only for a few moments before she went back to sleep. The pain from her wounds was too much to handle and the doctors had to inject a large dose of painkillers directly into her veins. '' Don't look at her like that. Trust me, she's not going to reveal your secret to anyone and I won't either. You can talk to me. ''

They still left the room and walked to one of the hospital's balconies before they continued their conversation. Baekhyun lit up a cigarette, while the taller boy tried to find the right words to say. Eventually, he gathered enough courage to reveal his plans to his friend. He was terrified of what would happen if he would actually go through with them, since it was very likely that his decision would make his life rapidly shift from bad to worse. '' I think that I'm going to drop out of university, leave my parents' home and pursuit my dream of making music. ''

Baekhyun was quiet for a few moments, then he took a long drag from his cigarette, glanced at him and seriously muttered: '' Well... I can't believe that you finally convinced yourself to do it. ''

Chanyeol was a little surprised that his friend didn't seem the slightest bit shocked. Then he elbowed him from the side and grinned. '' So that's a yes to moving in with you? ''

'' I never said that, '' Baekhyun bluntly muttered.

'' I might've forgotten to mention that part too, but I still meant it. If I do decide to actually leave my house, I won't have anywhere else to go. ''

Baekhyun seemed to debate it for a moment, then he sighed and shrugged his shoulders in defeat. '' Whatever. You practically live at my place already. ''

'' Thanks, Baek. ''

'' As long as you're happy... But the first time that you leave your underwear on the kitchen table or forget to wash the dishes, you can consider yourself homeless again. ''

Baekhyun placed a new cigarette between his lips and his dull eyes lazily traveled over the view of Seoul. A flock of birds rose from the tree that was growing underneath the hospital balcony and flew towards the cloudy blue sky.