chapter 5

❝ Happiness is fleeting, but so is everything else

Happiness is fleeting, but so is everything else.

'' Can you tell me what's going on? ''

'' I would, but it's pretty hilarious to watch you get annoyed, '' Baekhyun replied only after the fifth time that I asked the same question. He was holding binoculars to his eyes and scanning the nearby streets. His elbows were propped on the railing in front of him and he was trying to spot any signs of danger. We were on the roof of my family's most popular club and I had no idea what we were doing there, but he didn't want to let me go home. 

'' Are you that hungry for my attention? '' I snapped and frowned in annoyance. I was trying to taunt him back and purposely piss him off, but I wasn't as good at it as he was.

I was going to light up a cigarette, but he stole my lighter before I could do it. When I tried to take it back, he silently placed his hand on my head, used it to hold me away from him and raised the binoculars to his eyes again. '' No cigarettes tonight, Kitty. We can't have anyone see us on this rooftop... Also, I might be smiling, but you are starting to seriously test my patience. If you won't stop being annoying, I will tie you up. What are you, five years old? Can't you just be obedient for a second? If I tell you to stay here and be quiet, you should do that. It's not that difficult. ''

'' Not when I don't know what's happening, '' I grumbled in irritation, crossed my arms on my chest and huffed. There were two different Baekhyuns and I had yet to find out which one was closer to being real. Was it the cold and intimidating student that he played during the day or the guard dog that he became at night? '' Are we going to stay on this roof for the whole night? You told me that I'll be able to leave after sitting through that boring business meeting with uncle. ''

'' Is my company not entertaining enough for you? '' Baekhyun mumbled, clearly only half-listening to my complaining. His eyes slightly narrowed when he spotted someone suspicious in the parking lot in front of the club, then he took his phone from his pocket and sent a text message, probably warning one of the bouncers to not let that person inside.

In reality, Baekhyun's company was one that I least despised, but I would never give him the satisfaction of admitting that out loud. '' Are you trying to make me hurt your feelings? ''

He placed a chewing gum between his teeth, glanced in my direction and smirked. '' Wouldn't that make you feel better? ''

'' A little bit, '' I admitted, stole the packet of gum and took three pieces from it before I gave it back to him. We both needed it to survive without cigarettes, the nasty habit that we used to control our nerves.