chapter 9

❝ Instead of making me feel bad for the body I got, 

just teach him to keep it in his pants and tell him to stop. ❞

Everything changed on the night when Yukhei came back. It wasn't just him that reappeared in my life and started stirring up some trouble again. I was still completely unaware of it that night, but when Baekhyun ordered me to run - it was so that I could escape death. 

He didn't tell me the truth until he reached Minghao's place, which was where I was hiding. My uncle was planning to force me into signing over the ownership of my family's clubs. It wasn't part of his original intentions, but he changed his mind after he noticed the way that I was slowly crumbling under the pressure of life outside the rehab center. He wasn't wrong. Sometimes, it felt like every day peeled away another layer of my sanity and I often found myself wondering if perhaps I wasn't made for life at all.

'' Princess, do you need help zipping up your dress? '' We had a bit of a risky plan for that night. My uncle had to temporarily postpone getting the ownership of my family's clubs, until he would figure out a way to get me back, but he had a different goal too. He was after the money that my parents stored somewhere, the same one that I promised Baekhyun when I asked him if he wanted to work for me. Lee Hyungwook thought that my father's personal accountant would help him obtain it and we decided that we needed to get him first. 

That night, we were all headed to a party in one of the hotels that belonged to Bambam's family. He made sure that the accountant received one of the invites, at the very last moment, so now, all that we had to do was get to him first. The problem was that my uncle was going to be there too, along with everyone else too. That was where I was supposed to step in, as a distraction that would keep him occupied for long enough, before he would realise that Baekhyun wasn't working for his side anymore and try to stop our plans.

I glanced over my shoulder and my gaze met the burning eyes of Vernon, who was already prepared to leave. His dark hair was a little curled and he was wearing one of his favorite black shirts. There was a bottle of expensive champagne in his hand and he looked terribly out of place in the middle of Minghao's dusty apartment. 

I wasn't expecting to find myself with the elite club and the old swallow gang as an ally, but I wasn't surprised when I found out what they were after - money. 

Vernon took a few steps closer and stopped right behind me. My breath got caught in my throat when he put his champagne bottle down and placed one of his hands on my shoulder instead. A chill ran down my spine and I bit my bottom lip while he tugged on the zipper of my dress. '' Watch your hands, Vernon. ''

'' You don't trust me? '' he jokingly asked and let out a quiet, humorless laugh. 

'' Not in the slightest, '' I replied without hesitation and sighed. '' I don't want anything to do with you. I think that you're a bad person. ''