chapter 8

❝ I said, "Don't be a jerk, don't call me a taxi"

sitting in your sweatshirt, crying in the backseat. ❞

Watching Baekhyun struggle to make pancakes was quite the sight to laugh at, especially after waking up to the view of his roommate Chanyeol, standing in the bathroom, wearing nothing but a tiny towel and brushing his teeth. The tall boy had yet to comb his unruly red hair, his eyes were half-opened and he was looking at his reflection like he was debating if he really needed to be alive or not. His features twisted in to a frown when he caught me watching him from the other side of the opened bathroom door, he turned around and pointed at me with his toothbrush. '' What are you staring at? You're the one who's sleeping on my bed, not the other way around. ''

I got the impression that Chanyeol was Baekhyun's rooommate, but the other boy explained how that wasn't true. Baekhyun lived alone and Chanyeol had the habit of knocking on his door at two in the morning and crashing at his place multiple times a week, mostly whenever him and his parents had an argument and he felt like he couldn't stay in the same house as them anymore. After a while, the guest bedroom inevitably became his second home, with things like school books finding it's way on the shelves, along with some of his clothes filling the once empty closet. There was also a guitar, leaning against the wall next to a pile of scrap paper, covered with music notes and lyrics.

'' Chanyeol, you forgot to wash the dishes again! The next time that you do that, I'm going to call the police and report you as a burglar! We'll see if you'll keep taking advantage of my hospitality after that! '' I was sitting at the messy kitchen table and watching Baekhyun, who was struggling to flip pancakes with takeout food chopsticks, which were the only clean utensils that he could find. My bare feet were resting on the chair in front of me, covered with a stack of old books and I was feeling warm and comfortable in one of Baekhyun's baggy sweatshirts. I expected his apartment to be more uninviting, but the cheap and mismatched furniture, made it surprisingly welcoming. I didn't even mind the dust that was covering the shelves or the mud that found it's way in the living room, where Chanyeol kept forgetting to close the door of the balcony. I liked how everywhere that I looked, I could see pieces of them, from the redhead's vitamins, lined up above the fridge or the can of Baekhyun's favorite beer - cut up and folded in the shape of a bird.

'' Killing people and being a criminal is easy, but when you have to make some pancakes, that's when the problem appears? '' I spoke up, smiling at Baekhyun in amusement. 

'' You ain't going to be laughing when you'll have to go to classes hungry, '' Baekhyun muttered in response, glanced over his shoulder and narrowed his eyes in warning. His silver hair was still damp from the shower that he took before Chanyeol occupied the bathroom and he seemed tired, despite already drinking one cup of steaming black coffee. Mine was still in front of me and completely untouched. I was too mesmerized by the sight of Baekhyun in the kitchen and I completely forgot about it. Not only because it was hilarious, but also because it was interesting to see him so out of his element. I was used to the cold and composed persona that he showed at university or in my family's clubs. '' Are you going to help me or would you rather eat nothing? ''