epilogue: yukhei & minghao

❝ Hope is dangerous for someone with my type of past

Yukhei was in the middle of packing his backpack when someone tugged on his shirt. He turned his head with surprise and looked at Minghao's sister. It was around two in the morning and she was supposed to be sleeping, but she seemed completely and fully awake. Yukhei had to wonder how often she pretended to sleep while she was actually hiding under her covers and waiting for her brother to get home safely. The drug dealer asked him to watch over her until he would come back, but he was running a little late. Minghao didn't like leaving her with strangers, but he had no choice. He had to meet with a dangerous supplier and he didn't want to invite him to his apartment. 

'' Yukhei? You're leaving? Can we come with you? '' the girl asked and looked at Yukhei with wide eyes. The former convict was planning to leave Seoul as soon as Minghao would come back to the apartment. His heart was already racing in excitement at the idea of sitting on his bike and speeding down an open road, without a goal or a clear destination in mind. He didn't know where he was going, but that was the beauty and the freedom of it all.

Yukhei raised an eyebrow in confusion and asked: '' What do you mean? '' 

'' Me and my brother, can we come with you? '' the young girl asked, looking at Yukhei in determination. '' I don't know where you're going, but I'm sure that anywhere is better than here. ''

Something tightened around Yukhei's heart, then he put his hands on her shoulders and seriously said: '' Your place is by your brother's side. I know that you are too young to fully understand, but eventually, you will. He's doing everything that he can to give you a good life. His best will have to be enough. ''

Soon, Minghao came back to the apartment. Him and the younger girl were watching Yukhei speed down the street on his motorcycle and disappear around the corner. In just a few seconds, they couldn't even hear the sound of the bike engine anymore. The drug dealer felt a certain sadness at the idea that he would never see the former convict again. Yukhei truly helped him out in the past couple of weeks, in exchange for sleeping on his couch and he turned out to be a surprisingly warm and kindhearted person. 

The drug dealer patted his sister's head and told her to go to sleep before he mumbled a quiet: '' I'm sorry. ''

She quickly wiped her tears, not wanting her brother to see her cry. Again. '' I know that you are. It's okay. ''

It wasn't okay, he knew that, but what could he really do about it? Him and his sister were alone in this world and cursed to live a bad life that would never really change. That was the pitiful reality for them and a whole lot of other people.