Chapter Twenty Six

Oscars pov

I wince as my feet slam against the floor, my body still not fully used from climbing from my bedroom window. I hear the front door open and I swiftly take off sprinting down the road.

Repeating the same cycle as always: Jump. Run. Hide.

"GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT!" Where do I go? I can't go to Lukes house, I've already been there once before and the cut on my face wouldn't be easy to hide. But it's too cold to stay outside, I'll freeze.

Who else? Lizzie? No, she's a good thirty minutes. Abby? I mean her mom is out of town and it seems like she's my only option.

I turn and see the drunken man emerge from the house, stumbling after me with a baseball bat in his hand.

He really wants me dead huh?

"I SWEAR TO GOD OSCAR IF YOU DON'T GET BACK HERE I'LL TAKE YOU TO MY OFFICE AND FUCKING LEAVE YOU THERE." My eyes widen as I turn around, part of me actually tempted to turn back.

His office is where all his work friends are meaning what happens at his parties would happen every day.

My breath hitches as I realise the further implications of what he said. He's saying it in such a threatening way which can only mean he really does know how horrible it all is for me.

It's not that he doesn't understand, that he's too gone to see it. He knows.

He just doesn't care.

He soon stumbles too much making him lose his balance which allows me to disappear into the darkness of the night. Hopefully he gives up. Hopefully he forgets. Hopefully he stops.

Yet being hopeful has often proven to be pointless.

I swiftly pull out my phone and dial Abby's number, silently begging the universe that she picks up.

"Oscar? Its eleven oclock whats up? Not that I'm bothered, just usually you never call this late and-" I quickly cut her off. "C-Ca-Can I stay the n-night?" My voice trembles.

"I-uhh, sure? Are you ok?" I hum, struggling to actually respond as i can hardly breathe. Now isn't the time for a panic attack!

"I'm f-fine, see you in a m-minute." Before she can reply I hang up, not wanting to give her a chance of grasping more information than necessary.

Eventually I see her house come into sight though that doesn't calm my racing heart as much as i hope. I approach her door and look around, making sure he didn't manage to follow me before I knock on the door a few times.

The brunette girl opens the door with a tired expression, though the second she sees me worry spreads across her face.

"Oh my god whats wrong?" She grabs my arm and drags me inside, quickly guiding me to the living room where I sit on the couch, letting out heavy breaths. "He- I- I-"

God I can't keep doing this.

She runs to the kitchen to get me some water and as soon as she hands it too me I see how shaky I am.

"Holy shit okay give me your phone I'll call Lizzie." I shake my head.

"Please d-don't. I dont wanna d-disturb her, im f-fine, re-really I am!" She slowly nods, uncertainty written across her face and the grabs her phone.

She waits a second before mumbling a quick "Come over now." before hanging up, not saying anything more. I shoot her a worried look.

"Dont worry, it's only James." I sigh and lean against the chair. I pinch my leg through my jeans a few times, desperate for something, anything to calm me down quicker.